Thread: Paste as image.

arkanis is offline Project Contributor

Default Paste as image.

Hi,

I already posted some time ago the problem of not beeing able to copy/paste some simple information like a piece of spreadsheet from Excel (on a PC or Mac).

I suppose there are some problems with the way information is retained in memory, and the way of implement it to be able to paste it in the brower edit page.

Testing the last Office 2008 for mac, I came across an interesting feature : "Paste as image". This let the mac Entourage user past a piece of information like it's an image, so as you may think, the table appears correctly, the cells, and everything on.

I teste copy pasting tables (Excel, Numbers, etc.) to various mail clients like Apple Mail, Entourage, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc...
    Only on Windows Outlook was able to get properly the Excel table, the rest was a no go.

Maybe this option could be interesting to implement in Zimbra, and not too dificult without recoding the editor. I don't know for the rest of us, but copy pasting excel sheets are a MUST here...

Oh and by the way, when is that drag&drop firefox plugin comming out ?

mmorse is offline Moderator

I assume it only works within other ms office apps? With browsers being slightly sandboxed from OS's it'll be hard for an AJAX app to access the clipboard like that...
    As for the DnD sit tight, their working out an auto-update component

arkanis is offline Project Contributor

Default Yeah...

That's what I thought, the browser beeing sandboxed from the OS...

But if you are able to copy paste, text, images... what is stoping the browser to take whats in the clipboard and paste it in the correct manner ?

Or it's a limitation of the editor we have nowadays in our webapps ?

Well, in fact it works between apps, that's what is great... and the reason I was asking.

One of the reasons why I can't get outlook out of the building (and god knows I really want to kick him out) is the copy paste problem. I'm preparing other solutions to change this, but beeing able to copy paste as I said, not much, only spreadsheets would be great !

I know the guys at Zimbra are looking hard at it, but consistence all accross the board with the information is really important.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Checkout:
    Bug 15713 - zimbra embedded clipboard that would sync with client desktop OS
    Bug 15620 - Facility to create a true spreadsheet file
    Feel free to file away though - you know where bugzilla is at
    -Just warning you that it might sit untouched for a long time as there's a lot to do for 'paste as image' & getting to the point of zoho/google docs/office live, but it's somewhere in the plan
    Last edited by mmorse; 01-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Thread Information