View Poll Results: What OS port should be next?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • FreeBSD

92 15.65%
  • Mandriva

15 2.55%
  • Ubuntu

124 21.09%
  • Debian

109 18.54%
  • Gentoo

86 14.63%
  • Slackware

17 2.89%
  • Solaris

108 18.37%
  • NetBSD

2 0.34%
  • OpenBSD

8 1.36%
  • Other (Post a comment below)

27 4.59%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW POLL: What OS port should be next?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Breathe-then read the quotes from the first part of this post - ok well maybe even read all of it
    /forums/zimbra-success-stories/11485-zimbra-now-yahoos-thoughts-3.html#post59739

Will the Zimbra server and Web client remain open source?
    * Access to the Zimbra source code will always remain available and free.
    * We will continue to make source code available to view, modify and compile and unencumbered use.
    Will new Zimbra projects and additions to the current Zimbra suite be open source?
    * Zimbra will continue its practice of offering both an open and certified, network editions of the software.
    /about/yahoo_acquires_zimbra.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-17-2007 at 11:22 PM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    OK, I'm a bit worried now... News today is that Zimbra was just bought by Yahoo.
    No need to be worried, this is great news for Zimbra and the Opensource Community.

Can anyone on the zimbra team confirm whether or not the product will continue to be opensource or is Yahoo looking to use the product only for their own customers/users (ie - yahoo mail)? I'm wondering if this will have repercussions for large customers....
    The Opesource version of Zimbra will continue to be available, have a look at the official announcement and this quote from the questions:

Will Yahoo! remain committed to the open source community?

* Yahoo! has always supported the open source community and is committed to being open. We will continue to make source code available to view, modify and compile and unencumbered use.
    Check the Announcement for other questions about the availability of the OSS version.

Now I'm more anxious to know when version 5 will be released so dijichi2 can graciously compile it on solaris before it may be too late...
    Version 5 is still on schedule to be released in November this year.
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-17-2007 at 11:20 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Now I'm more anxious to know when version 5 will be released so dijichi2 can graciously compile it on solaris before it may be too late...
    Assuming zimbra remains relatively autonomous/opensource etc, the solaris port is depending on the (imminent?) svn tree reopening, not on the release of 5. In fact I was hoping as a pipe dream we could submit patches early enough in the 5.0 beta schedule that we might get it included eventually in some form in the main tree, but that's not going to happen by the look of it.

The thirdparty tarball dropped recently is still missing vital parts, so we can't even build the first stage.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    The thirdparty tarball dropped recently is still missing vital parts, so we can't even build the first stage.
    Hi,

If you could supply useful information about what was missing, then I could look to address it. I specifically chose not to include things that are easily obtained (like source tarballs) as it would have added significantly to the already rather large tarball. The point is for you to have something that you can work with to successfully get your build done, and I'm more than happy to help you in that.

Thanks,
    Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thanks Quanah for the response. I've asked Steve (hillman) who was looking at this to add a post to the Thirdparty thread detailing what is missing. We'd like to have the thirdparty stuff all built and ready for the svn code

Driador is offline Starter Member

I really really hate to sound like a troll or anything; I know the devs are working hard and I really appreciate their work thus far, but..

With Yahoo purchasing the company, I'm wondering if this will finally help push some of the Zimbra love towards those of us in the FreeBSD camp? Yes, yes.. I know there's a thread here somewhere about installing ZCS on FreeBSD, but I'm looking more for an enterprise edition, with support.

This remains one of the primary reasons why we (meaning the college I work for) are not embracing the enterprise version. Sorry.. I highly respect the linux camp out there, but switching to Linux is not an option.

Just my $.02 rambling.

sf_basilix is offline Intermediate Member

Default solaris build

dijichi2:

I don't know if you mentioned this earlier or not, but are you planning to build the SPARC or x86 version of the code for Solaris? (Also, would it be version 10?) If you are performing one and not the other, I have access to both platforms. If need be I can offer you the cycles needed.....if you can assist me with the build process...

Thanks.

hi sf_basilix

in the past i've produced for both x86 and sparc. if you can donate a fresh sparc box to compile on that would be awesome.

Sure... I think I can dedicate a box for that I am currently migrating from a SPARC Ultra 30 to a new AMD Ultra 40 in the next couple of weeks. If all goes well, I should have that fully transitioned over by mid-October. If that box is ok to run a build on (it will be a bit slow though), I can load whatever clean OS is needed.

Default any updates?

Hello dijichi2

I haven't heard anything from the message board in a while - just checking in to see if you were able to get the portions needed to begin compiling on solaris?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information