Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: source level debugging

liyingchang is offline Intermediate Member

ok, it's gotta to be a small setup problem somewhere I didn't do right. I removed everything else besides zimbra stuff (actually I didn't add the others, they came with the package), then it still gave me the same problem, I know I can start it using zmcontrol and it ran fine:

zimbra 23700 1 10 13:36 pts/4 00:00:06 /opt/zimbra/jdk1.5.0_05/bin/java -Xms303m -Xmx303m -client -XX:NewRatio=2 -Dcatalina.base=/opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7 -Dcatalina.home=/opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/temp -Djava.library.path=/opt/zimbra/lib -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/common/endorsed -classpath /opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/zimbra/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/bin/commons-logging-api.jar org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

so it's gotta to be my eclipse setup that's not right, missing classpath or something ? I set up the preference for Tomcat according to tim's setup and I added Build Path/User Libraries with zimbra-*.jars. what else can you think of ?

Thanks !!

hmmm.... seems like I've passed this problem and moving onto the next one, the problem was in the set up steps:

Windows/Preferences/Tomcat/Advanced:
    Tomcat base: \opt\zimbra\tomcat
    Add Java Projects to classpath: ZimbraServer is checked
    I unchecked above one to make sure nothing (class) is read from here

Windows/Preferences/Tomcat/JVM Settings:
    add [ZimbraServerPath]\conf to the Classpath
    I changed to use /opt/zimbra/conf for this.

I am sure that I can do more experiment to figure out how to point to my ZimbraServer dir but for now, it starts up then gets stuck in the logon page. at least I have it up running from eclipse many thanks to all the help.

Hi, a question for starting tomcat in eclipse, I think the process is started:

root 22485 21773 13 17:59 pts/4 00:00:06 /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_05/bin/java -Dcatalina.home=/opt/zimbra/tomcat -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/zimbra/tomcat/common/endorsed -Dcatalina.base=/opt/zimbra/tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/zimbra/tomcat/temp -classpath /opt/zimbra/lib/zimbrastore.jar:/opt/zimbra/lib/zimbra-native.jar:/opt/zimbra/lib/zimbra-charset.jar:/opt/zimbra/conf:/opt/zimbra/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_05/lib/tools.jar -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=loc alhost:33210 org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf/server.xml start

but zmcontrol shows mailbox down (i am not worried about mta stopped at this moment, it's related to the postfix version 2.2.3 vs 2.2.5, but mailbox is down that I don't understand):

antispam Stopped
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Stopped
    mta Stopped
    snmp Running
    spell Running

so question:
    1. is the status correct about mailbox stopped even if I have tomcat running ?
    2. if so, what am I missing to bring up the mail box ?

I assume this is why the logon page never returns after I entered the account and password.

Thanks !!

tim brennan is offline Zimbra Employee

What do you mean "stuck at login page"? Please explain exactly what is happening (ie, "I pointed my browser at BLAH...I saw XXX....I entered THIS and THIS...and then...") -- it is almost impossible to debug something with sketchy info like you've got here....

....taking a stab in the dark -- first we need to figure out if tomcat is running at all:

What server.xml are you pointing your tomcat install at? The one in /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf?

Look at your server.xml -- for the various ports listed, can you telnet to those ports with tomcat running in eclipse (if not, then tomcat isn't using your server.xml or something isn't starting up) --- Can you telnet to those ports with tomcat NOT running in eclipse (if you can, then this means you've got some other process running on those ports, you'll need to figure out what)

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

bburtin is offline Zimbra Employee

Hold on. I discovered some glitches in my remote debugging instructions. I'll post a follow up message once things are worked out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information