Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Missing thirdparty directory in souce tarballs

hillman is offline Moderator

Thanks - that's just what I needed!
    Last edited by hillman; 09-05-2007 at 10:07 AM.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

thank you thank you thank you !!!

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Default We're Listening:

hi guys-
    Thanks to Quanah for getting those third party out there.

We had a meeting. . yes a meeting. We've now placed this as a top priority.

Next week, we'll be moving some servers around, and one of them will be our SVN/Perforce system. Once moved into the new datacenter, and all settled in(scripts configured, and updated), we should be good to go.

We want to personally thank you for hanging with us during the bugz and move.

Thanks
    john

Default Is the ThirdParty Makefile missing bits?

Thanks so much for providing the tarball a couple of weeks ago. With the source tars already present, I also didn't have to go looking for them out on the 'Net - a great time saver!

I came up with a set of patches for the Makefiles in each subdirectory, so that they all build on Solaris. I still have to bundle those together though into a single patch that can be applied at the top level.

However, I did notice one inconsistency when doing this. Perhaps it's just my lack of knowledge of the whole build process, but it seems that some packages that were present in the ThirdParty directory weren't listed in ThirdParty/Makefile and hence would only get built by manually descending into each subdir and doing a 'make'.

The 'C' packages in question are memcached/libevent and nginx. Were these left out of the top-level Makefile deliberately, or was it just an oversight?

There are also a couple of perl packages - mrtg and amavisd - that appear to have been prepackaged into tar balls. Is that handled by the master Build process?

Finally, there's some inconsistency in where the built packages are placed. Most are now going into ThirdPartyBuilds/platform/<pkg> but some are being left in ThirdParty/<pkg>/builds. Are the latter ones 'bugs', or is this just a case of gradually migrating from the latter to the former and not all packages are done yet?

Thanks!

quanah is online now Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post

However, I did notice one inconsistency when doing this. Perhaps it's just my lack of knowledge of the whole build process, but it seems that some packages that were present in the ThirdParty directory weren't listed in ThirdParty/Makefile and hence would only get built by manually descending into each subdir and doing a 'make'.

The 'C' packages in question are memcached/libevent and nginx. Were these left out of the top-level Makefile deliberately, or was it just an oversight?

There are also a couple of perl packages - mrtg and amavisd - that appear to have been prepackaged into tar balls. Is that handled by the master Build process?

Finally, there's some inconsistency in where the built packages are placed. Most are now going into ThirdPartyBuilds/platform/<pkg> but some are being left in ThirdParty/<pkg>/builds. Are the latter ones 'bugs', or is this just a case of gradually migrating from the latter to the former and not all packages are done yet?
    Hi, I'm glad you've found the tarball useful. In answer to your questions -- The toplevel Makefile is generally for building up those things that have a set of dependencies together. So the memcached/nginx bits are not included in that and built seperately as needed.

And correct on the amavisd & mrtg bits -- The Zimbra build bits from the Zimbra source install the perl files manually as part of the build.

For the ThirdPartyBuilds/.../ bit, yes, I've been transitioning the builds to that location so that things are cleaner. So eventually all compiled bits will end up there.

I've been working on an updated tarball with a README file for instructions today. It may be up by tomorrow. I'd be interested in your patch for Solaris as well.

Regards,
    Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Default Solaris Zimbra build notes

My notes, along with the patches I applied, can be found here:

Build notes for Zimbra v5 on Solaris - ACS - Confluence

This was extracted straight from our internal Wiki, so a lot of the fancy formatting got lost in the process. So it's a bit 'retros - sorry.

The diffs listed aren't context diffs. When I get a bit of time, I'll build one big unified context diff that can be applied at the top level and patch all files at once.

I'm also not a software developer, or a heavy porter, so there may have been cleaner ways to modify the Makefiles than the way I did it. Still, I tried to modify them in such a way that they'd still work on other platforms.

Excellent, thanks! Before I look at the page, have you signed one of the contributor pieces with Zimbra? I believe that has to be in place before I can act on the changes made.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Take a look here for more info:
    http://www.zimbra.com/community/contribute.html

Build notes for Zimbra v5 on Solaris - ACS - Confluence

The diffs listed aren't context diffs. When I get a bit of time, I'll build one big unified context diff that can be applied at the top level and patch all files at once.
    The unified diffs would be really helpful, even if they are just in the wiki, rather than a patch file. Would it be possible to put those up or send them to me?

Thanks,
    Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

My apologies for taking awhile to get this patch available. I wanted to apply it to a 'clean' system to ensure that it would build without errors (I caught one error in the process..)

The unified context patch is available here: http://www.sfu.ca/~hillman/zimbra-so...3rdparty.patch

The notes on how to use it are here: Build notes for Zimbra v5 on Solaris - ACS - Confluence

Although I have verified that all of the necessary ThirdParty stuff builds, I haven't actually verified that it all runs yet - I haven't finished building the rest of Zimbra 5.0 on Solaris yet.

Finally, let me emphasize again that this creates a set of binaries that depend on numerous libraries in the Blastwave distributions that aren't included with Solaris. Not only will you need the Blastwave packages for building, you'll need them for running the resulting code as well. The 'prepzimdev.pl' script, references in the above build notes, takes care of installing all of the necessary Blastwave packages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information