Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Query regarding Zimbra 4.5 svn tag name ?

zocs is offline Active Member

Question [SOLVED] Query regarding Zimbra 4.5 svn tag name ?

Greetings All,

I am new to zimbra and I want to build the Zimbra WebClient 4.5 (and updates if any) from source. I looked up in svn repository and found that the TAG FRANK contains the source code for 4.5 + updates. Now i want to checkout source from this brach so I am using the revision id: 786 as displayed in the svn repositiory. As I am also new to svn repository I just want to confirm if this will checkout the correct version of zimbra and is my understanding correct or not?

I found the tag name for the 4.5 realease from the following link: Zimbra Product Portal

I found the revision id from this link: SourceForge.net Repository - [zimbra] Index of /trunk/branches

Please let me know if I am using the correct revision id and TAG name.

Thanks & Regards,
    Zocs....

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Hi

SVN is very out of date and is not being updated from Zimbra. The most recent source is available alongside the binary releases from sourceforge.

Question Query regarding Zimbra 4.5 svn tag name ?

Thanks for your updates.

If i want to just build the Zimbra web client release 4.5 should i use the branch FRANK in svn? This branch has the revision id: 786.
    Thanks for your reply.

regards,
    Zocs...

Do not use svn. Download source tarballs from sourceforge.

Question Query regarding Zimbra 4.5 svn tag name ?

Greetings,

Thanks for your reply dijichi2. I got your point not use svn and use source tar ball. But here I have some queries as follows:

1) The source tar balls are for release 4.5.5 and 4.5.6 which are just few patches to 4.5, but how could i get just release 4.5 without patches? I think using svn repository that should be possible.

2) If a developer wants to contribute to open source and applies some patch to just release 4.5 (with no patch) for which source code is present in svn how will he confirm that the code snapshot he/she is having is for release just 4.5? By downloading source tar balls it becomes little bit difficult for versioning. Ofcourse a person would not directly commit and would certainly follow the Zimbra and/or Open Source processes but without using svn don't you think it becomes little bit difficult for the developer?

I would also cetainly like to know if the svn version for the branch FRANK itself is not consistent with ZCS release for 4.5. And in this scenario if the source tar ball gurantees release it claims to be, then one must always use the source tar balls and not the svn.

It would also be insightfull if a Zimbra developer/employee clarifies my queries. I think that this would be also helpfull to other open source developers who are planning to contribute to Zimbra Open source initiative.

Thanks to everyone who had a look to my queries.
    Thanks to dijichi2 too.

regards,
    Zocs

Hi
    1) The source tar balls are for release 4.5.5 and 4.5.6 which are just few patches to 4.5, but how could i get just release 4.5 without patches? I think using svn repository that should be possible.
    Releases 4.5.5 and 4.5.6 are full releases - both binary and source packages, not patches. SVN broke somewhere between 4.5.4 and 4.5.5 and I don't think it contains versioned branches, so I don't think it's currently possible to download the source for the original 4.5.

2) If a developer wants to contribute to open source and applies some patch to just release 4.5 (with no patch) for which source code is present in svn how will he confirm that the code snapshot he/she is having is for release just 4.5? By downloading source tar balls it becomes little bit difficult for versioning. Ofcourse a person would not directly commit and would certainly follow the Zimbra and/or Open Source processes but without using svn don't you think it becomes little bit difficult for the developer?
    Unless you have a wierd and wonderful reaosn, you do NOT want to patch or develop against original 4.5 - patch or develop against the latest source you can, ie 4.5.6..

You can determine the release of the code you have by looking at these files:
    ZimbraBuild/RE/MAJOR.ZimbraBuild/RE/MINOR.ZimbraBuild/RE/MICRO-ZimbraBuild/RE/BUILD
    The last svn tree I have (I think probably the latest), this gives:
    4.5.4_GA-754

Doing any form of development from tarballs without svn is very difficult, I agree. It has been raised in this forum several times (search back) and Zimbra have stated their mechanism for synching their internal source with sourceforge svn is broken and they are working on getting it fixed.

The source tarballs accompanying each binary release are currently the best you can do with regards to accessing the source code.

On an unrelated note to this discussion:
    Red Hat flags OSI offenders on partner site | The Register

Smile

Thanks for your reply dijichi2.
    Your comments will greatly help me.
    Regards,
    Zocs...

kbaker is offline Active Member

Where would I find the "source tar balls"? I see the binary release on Source forge but not anything labelled "source"

Klug is offline Moderator

The SVN mirror will soon be available, there are several posts on this subject from the zimbroïds themselves 8)

administrator is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kbaker View Post
    Where would I find the "source tar balls"? I see the binary release on Source forge but not anything labelled "source"
    SourceForge.net: Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information