Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lightning hanging up Tbird on ZCS 5.0.11?

  1. #1
    gkra's Avatar
    gkra is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    8

    Question Lightning hanging up Tbird on ZCS 5.0.11?

    We upgraded our NE server to 5.0.11 last night, and now all of our Thunderbird users who are using Lightning are noticing that Thunderbird occasionally hangs for up to a couple minutes at a time, as well as hanging for a minute or two when starting up.

    This has been reported to me with the latest versions of both Thunderbird and Lightning (2.0.0.18 and 0.9, respectively).

    The slowdowns and hangs stop if we remove Lightning from the configuration.

    Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not seeing anything obvious in mailbox.log.
    Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    Computer Science and Engineering
    University of California, San Diego

  2. #2
    ikiini is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkra View Post
    We upgraded our NE server to 5.0.11 last night, and now all of our Thunderbird users who are using Lightning are noticing that Thunderbird occasionally hangs for up to a couple minutes at a time, as well as hanging for a minute or two when starting up.

    This has been reported to me with the latest versions of both Thunderbird and Lightning (2.0.0.18 and 0.9, respectively).

    The slowdowns and hangs stop if we remove Lightning from the configuration.

    Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not seeing anything obvious in mailbox.log.
    I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get my calendar to work. Its been working for the longest while, up until earlier today when I updated thunderbird and lightning to 2.0.0.21 and 0.9 respectively. Please if you found whats wrong, post it as it would help. If I find something i'll do the same.

    -B

  3. #3
    gkra's Avatar
    gkra is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ikiini View Post
    I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get my calendar to work. Its been working for the longest while, up until earlier today when I updated thunderbird and lightning to 2.0.0.21 and 0.9 respectively. Please if you found whats wrong, post it as it would help. If I find something i'll do the same.

    -B
    Our "solution" was to back Lightening out of Thunderbird entirely, and offer people Sunbird instead. We banged our heads on it for some time, and finally just gave up.
    Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    Computer Science and Engineering
    University of California, San Diego

  4. #4
    Klug's Avatar
    Klug is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaucaire, France
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    If you're using them both (TB + Lightning) in https, it's a know bug in TB 2.x (related to "single https thread").

    There's a floating patch (not tested) for 2.x and it's nicely fixed in TB 3.x.

  5. #5
    bcoulter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    6

    Default patch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    If you're using them both (TB + Lightning) in https, it's a know bug in TB 2.x (related to "single https thread").

    There's a floating patch (not tested) for 2.x and it's nicely fixed in TB 3.x.
    Where is this patch available? I googled for it but was not able to find it.

  6. #6
    dustys is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Does anyone know where this patch can be found? We are currently experiencing the same issue (it appears) on 5.0.15 NE. I'm downloading the TB 3.0 Beta to see if this corrects the issue.

    DJS
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

  7. #7
    dustys is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just a follow-up. I have tried TB 3 beta and Lightning 1.0-pre. Although behavior improves, it still isn't usable. I also attempted to get the latest stable release of Sunbird. It's performance too was unacceptable.

    Both setups would lag in showing changes to the calendars and when I made a change, it would try to reload the entire calendar. This would lock the app up for a few minutes while it pulled everything again.

    The big question: Has anyone deployed either Lightning and / or Sunbird on a recent release of ZCS and had good performance?

    Thanks!
    Dusty
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

  8. #8
    Klug's Avatar
    Klug is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaucaire, France
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    There are two different issues...

    5.0.15 is über-crappy in CalDAV for Lightning/SunBird (while it works nicely for iCal).
    If you have calendar with lots of objects, you _need_ to upgrade to 5.0.16 to get a "normal" behaviour in Lightning/SunBird.
    See here : Bug 37044 : CalDAV with Lightning "broken" in 5.0.15

    As you've tried with SunBird and found the performance unacceptable, I guess you're hitting this issue...
    And you need to ugprade to 5.0.16 to get through it.

    For people looking for the patch, the easiest way to find it is to look at Mozilla's bugzilla...
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390036

  9. #9
    dustys is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Klug,

    Thanks for the reply and pointing to the Bug! We are planning the upgrade to 5.0.16 in the next few weeks.

    Regards,
    Dusty
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble Sending mail - All Messages deferred!
    By SiteDiscovery in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM
  2. Ldap_operations_error
    By tcnj in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 06:53 AM
  3. [SOLVED] Zimbra 5.0.10 to 5.0.11 upgrade hanging
    By fizi in forum Installation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
  5. ZCS 3.2 Beta Available
    By KevinH in forum Announcements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •