Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZCS 3.0 Beta 3 Update Released

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPenguin
    I've tried to get my upgraded M4 box to talk to another server on ldap with no success

I set up another server just with Zimbra LDAP (Zimbra Core installed by default), everything configured nicely, changed the config to get it to point to the correct host, but I still cant get passed the setup menu

Are you getting an error? What to any of the logs say? Do you have a firewall?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default ldap password?

Did you set the ldap password on the other box correctly? If you're just getting the communication exception, it's because it can't resolve the ldap server's hostname in dns (/etc/hosts isn't enough).

Try setting the ldap host to the ldap server's IP, not hostname.

FunkyPenguin is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Are you getting an error? What to any of the logs say? Do you have a firewall?
    The errors that I get are:

Code:
    Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save..                                                                             .done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.720
    Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Done
    Checking for port conflicts
    Starting ldap...Done
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectCo                                                                             ntext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException hawk.forcev.net:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.C                                                                             ommunicationException hawk.forcev.net:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.C                                                                             ommunicationException hawk.forcev.net:389)
    Done
    Checking ldap on localhost:389...FAILED
    Code:
    Checking ldap on 192.168.2.30:389...FAILED
    Checking ldap on 192.168.2.30:389...FAILED

Main menu

1) Hostname:                                hawk.forcev.net
       2) Ldap master host:                        192.168.2.30
       3) Ldap port:                               389
       4) Ldap password:                           set
       5) zimbra-ldap:                             Enabled
       6) zimbra-store:                            Enabled
       7) zimbra-mta:                              Enabled
       8) zimbra-snmp:                             Enabled
       9) zimbra-logger:                           Enabled
      10) zimbra-spell:                            Enabled
       r) Start servers after configuration        yes
       s) Save config to file
       x) Expand menu
       q) Quit

Address unconfigured (**) items or correct ldap configuration  (? - help)
    Logs have nothing in them that indicates anyform of problem, and there's no firewall inbetween both hosts, they're sitting on the same network.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Did you set the ldap password on the other box correctly? If you're just getting the communication exception, it's because it can't resolve the ldap server's hostname in dns (/etc/hosts isn't enough).

Try setting the ldap host to the ldap server's IP, not hostname.
    Double checked the password, and changed from hostname to IP and still nothing.

One thing I noticed from trying to create the cert is that I get several "unable to write 'random state'" errors, about three of them. Anyone know what could be causing them, and is this what's killing me?

Default ldap problems

I'm not sure what causes the "unable to write random state" error, but I suspect it to be /opt/zimbra permissions. I know for a fact, however, that it doesn't cause problems.

Here's what's happening during your install. You set the ldap host to the IP address, which is correct - but I forgot one impt. thing. When doing an install, if hostname != ldap host (string comparison) I assume that the ldap host is remote, and already running, and attempt to contact it.

Two possible workarounds - get your hostname into DNS, and set ldap host to the hostname (this is preferable).

The other workaround is to set your hostname to the IP address, so it matches the ldap host entry. This will require then setting the domain, accounts, etc to create to be the correct domain, since the installer will set them to be account@ip_address.

Thanks for the options marcmac, preferably I'd like to keep it all on the same box but somehow I don't think i will be able to unless I convert the ZCS LDAP server into a full ZCS box and move the data from old to new. Is that possible?

Default moving data

Search the forums for moving mailboxes - it's not really that straightforward.

You should be able to install everything onto one box, with DNS set up correctly - but moving existing mailboxes is not so easy.

I would ideally like to keep using the server that is scuppered as it has all 1500 emails 3 calendars and 600 contacts on, but this ldap issue is starting to kill me DNS is setup correctly as far as I can see, and still it doesn't want to play.

If I choose to not upgrade but do a fresh install, I take it it blows all data?

Default Zimbra moves in mysterious ways!!

I'm very happy, but exceedingly confused to say that my upgrade has now been successful!

I just thought I'd go through and test ldap again; and when I ran through the install.sh I had the option to apply my settings, which I was missing before - and no error messages! I promise I have done nothing different

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information