Thread: [SOLVED] How to force zmprov to create accounts on a specific server

cchargin is offline New Member

Default [SOLVED] How to force zmprov to create accounts on a specific server

Hello all,

I have a 2 server setup. I want to use zmprov to add a bunch of accounts, but zmprov appears to randomly distribute them among the 2 servers.

Is there a way to force zmprov to make the accounts on just 1 of the servers?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,
    does doing a -s {host}[:{port}] server hostname and optional port first help? or use zimbraMailHost?
    The attribute gets set to the server name of the host the admin browser connected to. This forces the administrator to connect to the admin console on the right server for
    provisioning users.
    zmprov ca account@domain.com password zimbraMailHost hostname

OR
    Or you could clone your COS twice, and assign each cos's server pool one of your 2 servers -then add them via zmprov with cos name attached. "zmprov ca name@domain.com password zimbraCOS cosIDnumberstring" or use zmprov sac

OR
    do a zmmailboxmove when your done
    "zmmailboxmove -a <email@address> -ow -s <servername> -t <movetoservername>"
    Last edited by mmorse; 03-20-2008 at 11:46 PM.

kirme3 is offline Trained Alumni

I've never used it in production, but testing with this multiple times has worked for me.

zmprov ca account@domain.com password zimbraMailHost hostname etc....

Hello,

I tried the -s option and zmprov still distributes the accounts between the servers.

Here is the zmprov command I first used (with real names and domains changed):
    zmprov ca email@domain.com password givenName 'First' sn 'Last' cn 'email' displayName 'First Last'

Here is with the -s option:
    zmprov -s one.domain.com ca email@domain.com password givenName 'First' sn 'Last' cn 'email' displayName 'First Last'

I have 2 servers. Server 1 is running Mailbox, MTA, and is the LDAP master. Server 2 is also running Mailbox, MTA, and is an LDAP replica. It does not matter which server I run zmprov from, they both do the same thing.

I don't want to mess with COS duplication. I am still getting used to Zimbra and I don't want to do something that I might have to undo later.

I used zmmailboxmove to clean up after my first test, but it is a pain. I have to check each mail account and make a list of where they ended up, then I have to run the zmmailboxmove command twice for each account, once to move it, then once to purge it from the previous server after I am sure it moved. However, if there is no solution, then this is how I will have to do it. It will be less painful than creating all the accounts by hand.

kirme3 is offline Trained Alumni

Have you tried:

?

Hello,

Have you tried:

Oops, I missed the "zimbraMailHost" in your post! Yes, I tested this (after your second post made me read it closer) and it did work!

Also, while looking for something else in the COS I found this:
    In the "Server Pool" tab you can set a server or servers where new accounts will be created. I unchecked one of my servers and saved the change, then all new accounts were created on only the server I wanted.

Thanks for the help!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Hence why I mentioned that you could make 2 duplicates of of your cos
    Three total: The current main one that contains both servers. Hit the duplicate button twice in the admin UI. For the duplicates assign them one server each; if you want to feed in to a specific server...assign them that cos when you create the accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by cchargin
    I don't want to mess with COS duplication. I am still getting used to Zimbra...
    Duplicating is easy-just a 'duplicate' button in the main 'class of service' section. Later, you can always easily move all users to the main COS (that has both servers in the pool), and delete the 2 duplicate cos'es.

Glad you found a method that works for you-it really comes down to what is most convenient at the time.
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-03-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Thread Information