Thread: Connection Refused in Deferred Mail Queue

mariotre is offline Member

Question Connection Refused in Deferred Mail Queue

Since over a week, any incoming emails my server receive are trapped in the deferred queue and not send to the recipient.

I'm not sure what's going on. It used to work flawlesly. The only thing that I can think of is that I changed ISP around that time but I don't know why or how it could have affected my mail server.

I have no alarming messages logged in the /var/log/messages and the messages in /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log seems fine. Only one line stating something about pop ERR.

pop - -ERR inknown command (AUTH )

I know it's not much to go on but can you at least direct me to where I should go to troubleshoot this problem?

Regards,

Mario.

soeren is offline Member

In the admin interface, if you mouse over the connection refused message you should get a few more details like where it was refused..

Question Connection Refused in Deferred Mail queue

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    In the admin interface, if you mouse over the connection refused message you should get a few more details like where it was refused..
    Did that. Although there's not much information in there that tells me what the problem is. Here's what I get:

Sender: <sender's email address>
    From Host: localhost.localdomain
    From Domain: <sender's domain name>
    From IP: 127.0.0.1
    Recipients: <my email address on this mail server>
    To Domain: <my senver domain name>
    Content Filter: Undefined
    Size: 35658
    Reason: connect to <server dns> [ip address of mail server]: connection refused

Everything specified between '<' and '>', I verified and is correct information.

Don't know where to go from there.

Regards,
    Mario.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mariotre View Post
    Did that. Although there's not much information in there that tells me what the problem is. Here's what I get:

Sender: <sender's email address>
    From Host: localhost.localdomain
    From Domain: <sender's domain name>
    From IP: 127.0.0.1
    Recipients: <my email address on this mail server>
    To Domain: <my senver domain name>
    Content Filter: Undefined
    Size: 35658
    Reason: connect to <server dns> [ip address of mail server]: connection refused

Everything specified between '<' and '>', I verified and is correct information.

Don't know where to go from there.

Regards,
    Mario.
    Hi Mario,

Three questions for you:

1. Is you Zimbra box NAT'd behind a firewall? If so:

2. Is "[ip address of mail server]" above the private or the public IP of the box?

3. If your box is not NAT'd, is it connected to a built-in switch on the back of your firewall?

Basically, what we found is that if intra-server traffic is being passed through a firewall, then you need to make sure the firewall allows LMTP traffic on port 7025.

In your case, you are saying the traffic that is being blocked is originating on 127.0.0.1 and is being sent via LMTP to another IP address. So, depending on your logical and physical configurations, this could be a firewall, not a Zimbra, issue.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Three questions for you:

1. Is you Zimbra box NAT'd behind a firewall? If so:

2. Is "[ip address of mail server]" above the private or the public IP of the box?

3. If your box is not NAT'd, is it connected to a built-in switch on the back of your firewall?

Basically, what we found is that if intra-server traffic is being passed through a firewall, then you need to make sure the firewall allows LMTP traffic on port 7025.

In your case, you are saying the traffic that is being blocked is originating on 127.0.0.1 and is being sent via LMTP to another IP address. So, depending on your logical and physical configurations, this could be a firewall, not a Zimbra, issue.

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    Thank Mark for your answer.
    To answer your questions.
    1. Yes, I'm NAT'd.
    2. This is the public 'internet world' ip address.

What I don't understand about your firewall and LMTP comment is that my configuration hasn't changed in a looooong time and it used to work perfectly until recently.

Maybe I should try to re-direct traffic on port 7025 (from my linksys router)to my local (internal) ip of my mail server but still I wonder why it used to work and it's not working anymore.

Regards,
    Mario.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mariotre View Post
    Thank Mark for your answer.
    To answer your questions.
    1. Yes, I'm NAT'd.
    2. This is the public 'internet world' ip address.

What I don't understand about your firewall and LMTP comment is that my configuration hasn't changed in a looooong time and it used to work perfectly until recently.

Maybe I should try to re-direct traffic on port 7025 (from my linksys router)to my local (internal) ip of my mail server but still I wonder why it used to work and it's not working anymore.

Regards,
    Mario.
    Hi Mario,

Do you have both the public and private IP addresses in your /etc/hosts file? Which order? Is there a local copy of BIND running with the private IP of the server? Install a Zimbra update recently? Update the firmware on the firewall? Install some OS updates recently?

Lots of ways to mangle this sort of stuff, unfortunately...

:-)

All the best,
    Mark

Thread Information