Thread: Multiple Domains (Hosted Service)

jmm
    jmm is offline Starter Member

Post Multiple Domains (Hosted Service)

Hello,
    We recently migrated mail to a hosted service with a third-party provider so my access is obviously limited. This third-party is new to Zimbra as are we so we are trying to help them get us setup.

Background...

We have several domains, lets says XYZ.COM and ABC.COM just to name two. Our primary domain is XYZ.COM. Our thought was to have everyone on have a box for XYZ.COM and the necessary folks could create the appropriate ABC.COM mail identity.

Issue is...

Problem here is that we have several 'shared' boxes for instance ones like 'sales' and 'info'. That is we have both SALES@XYZ.COM and SALES@ABC.COM. So if we create SALES_ABC@XYZ.COM and create an identity within the account for SALES@ABC.COM you would think this would work... it does not. The mail sent to sales@abc.com is still received by sales@xyz.com.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the config as I stated we're using Zimbra as a hosted service (for now), but I need to get some insight for their techs to give them some direction. As I mentioned they are also new to Zimbra and I think are lost (been waiting almost a week on this). Any insight/ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Your usage of the word 'shared' is misleading. I assume you mean your just getting the mail delivered to multiple users, not working from a common folder.
    Problem here is that we have several 'shared' boxes for instance ones like 'sales' and 'info'. That is we have both SALES@XYZ.COM and SALES@ABC.COM. So if we create SALES_ABC@XYZ.COM and create an identity within the account for SALES@ABC.COM you would think this would work... it does not. The mail sent to sales@abc.com is still received by sales@xyz.com.
    Shared email folders (share an inbox like you would a calendar) is coming in v5.0.
    Following the mail delivery to multiple accounts meaning for 'shared':

Sound's like you need to get them to understand the difference between Alias Addresses, Canonical Addresses, & Mail Identities:

Alias Addresses
    > Allows inbound mail for first.lastname@domain.com to go to the user name@domain.com (currently in admin console/shell access only -though there a request open for user made aliases)

Canonical Addresses >displays in the 'From:" field of messages that are sent. So if you want to appear as first.last@domain.com instead of name@domain.com on emails that you send. (again user cannot set this-admin console/shell access only)

Mail Identities > The user can select when they want to appear as first.last@domain.com or first.m.last@domain.com or just last@domain.com
    Most people use Mail Identities to appear like their signed in to another service-send a message to personal friends without leaving your work account etc. So from zimbra you could send mail as user@gmail.com without switching clients/browsers/etc. However that would only take care of sending, this does not work for receiving unless there is an inbound alias setup.

Domain wide: ManagingDomains - ZimbraWiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-12-2007 at 07:50 PM.

jmm
    jmm is offline Starter Member

Thank you for your response...

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Your usage of the word 'shared' is misleading. I assume you mean your just getting the mail delivered to multiple users, not working from a common folder.
    Sorry for the confusion. You are correct, when I say 'shared' I mean to reference that multiple individuals will be checking the box itself.

Alias Addresses[/I] > Allows inbound mail for first.lastname@domain.com to go to the user name@domain.com (currently in admin console/shell access only -though there a request open for user made aliases)
    Yes, this would be the perfect solution for this; however, it appears that we can only add aliases in the XYZ.COM domain. In this case we would need the alias SALES@ABC.COM to be an alias for sales_abc@xyz.com.

Canonical Addresses >
    Mail Identities >
    We're not concerned with how the mail looks going out, just trying to get it in. Let me know if the additional info is helpful. Is it possible to create aliases for the secondary domains?

Thank you very much for the guidance!

Thread Information