Thread: Mac OS X launchd item for Zimbra (autostart)

Mark Daniel is offline Senior Member

Default Mac OS X launchd item for Zimbra (autostart)

Heya all! Finally got around to writing a launchd item for all flavors of Mac OS X 10.4.x (client and server). Simply unzip the attached ZIP, drop the resulting .plist into /Library/LaunchDaemons (or use Lingon to install into "User Daemons"), give your machine a restart, and voila: no need to hop into Terminal and manually start Zimbra.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve3 is offline Member

Hey, nice. Put it on my test server, shut it down, moved it, booted up, and zimbra services were just there. Thanks for sharing that.

brian is offline Project Contributor

Hi Mark,

I'm a little confused at the need for this as ZCS ships and installs it's own launchd script (com.zimbra.zcs.plist). If the current ones isn't working for you, it'd be great if you could file a bug.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default Oh!

Hah! I never noticed that! I haven't had a chance to go dig for it in the installer .dmg, but Zimbra might want to make the bundled versions presence a little more prominent, as I (and apparently Steve3, perhaps others) didn't spot it.
    I was also geeked as it was my first launchd item. Heh.

EDIT: Let me refine that: None of the installers for 4.5.x have installed a .plist for me, at least in the appropriate place (/Library/LaunchDaemons). Where does the installer tuck it?
    Last edited by Mark Daniel; 06-06-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: update

Steve3 is offline Member

I didn't have a .plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons either- as this was a fresh 10.4 install, with only zimbra added, that folder was empty.

As I said, I'd never rebooted my zimbra server- I saw this post, looked at Mark's file, decided it was reasonable and harmless, and put it in. I hadn't tested the zimbra experience without it.

I'm not in front of my server right now, so I can't get too detailed here, but I took a look at the supplied .plist (buried in /opt/zimbra/conf/ I think), and there were some differences... Mine was basically based on a gentoo startup command that is basically a one liner:

su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol start"

The included plist uses a different command, "zcs," and I believe it does a few things to make sure that it launches as the zimbra user and with group permissions of the zimbra group. Dunno... mine appears to accomplish the same, as Activity Viewer shows all of zimbra's processes being owned by Zimbra.

Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve3 View Post
    I didn't have a .plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons either- as this was a fresh 10.4 install, with only zimbra added, that folder was empty.

As I said, I'd never rebooted my zimbra server- I saw this post, looked at Mark's file, decided it was reasonable and harmless, and put it in. I hadn't tested the zimbra experience without it.

Thread Information