Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared Calendars

joe.lorenz is offline Intermediate Member

Default Shared Calendars

I would like to share out a calendar and allow it to be viewed and updated by multiple people.

I noticed a thread in the developers corner about viewing shared calenders. http://server.domain.com/zimbra/home/user/calendar.atom but that is for an RSS feed. What if I simply when to view and update the calendars.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    1) Share properties for calendars (when you right click a calendar name)
    -Internal; used only for people using zimbra at your same domain, (their email will be similar to yours) You can also choose a role for them. If you leave "send a standard message" set they will get an email; and when they accept it's automatically added to their calendars list.
    -External Guests; enter their email and choose a password.
    -Public; self explanatory and URL based
    See 'Share Properties' image below.

Other 2 images (Link to Shared Calendar):
    If you just set it to public (or didn't send them an email invite when you did internal or external guests earlier):
    First, right click the word 'calendars' -where my red dot is below.
    Second, type in the full path: http://myserver.com/home/company_calendar/Calendar/
    OR
    email and a short path:
    company_calendar@domain.com
    /Calendar
    I hope this helps-let us know how it works out!
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-14-2008 at 08:48 PM.

dballing is offline Intermediate Member

Is there any way to browse these?

We're contemplating deploying this for our school, and our College Relations folks would love to simply share out a bunch of event calendars (Athletics, Lectures, Concerts, Theatre, etc.) for subscription by any college community member.

However, it's really annoying to the users (who often may not be the most technically savvy) to be forced to remember to use the (fake) e-mail address associated with the "shared calendar user", and to know specifically what the name of the calendar they want it.

Cheers,
    D

Bug 7473 - Share management and discovery

In the mean time you can make the calendar public and publish a list of URL's?
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-27-2007 at 12:00 PM.

The "publish a bunch of URLs" strategy might work if I was happy with "not-real-time" updating of the content, but I still can't get a straight answer for "how often do URL-based calendars get refreshed, or even *do* they get refreshed?"

Derek,
    Do your calendars for Athletics, Lectures, Concerts, Theatre, etc. change a ton daily?
    ie: would most users be satisfied with it refreshing on login (or manually refreshing if for instance they're an athletics secretary who needs an up-to-date cal of current games?)

ya, there are a bunch of threads & bugs on the refreshing issue...about not pushing out changes real-time to logged in users etc.
    Hopefully 5.0 will solve a few things.
    This is probably the biggest Bug 6082 - enable notification for delegate stores/shared folders

It's mainly dealing with the person who's modifying a shared cal-like a secretary, but the effects on deciding how to notify all open cal's will affect your situation too.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    At this time the server doesn't trigger notifications for mounted/shared folders. So a manually refresh is needed. We are looking at ways to allow notifications to be sent in a case like this (where the person making the change is notified). If we just notified all the shares it could be a scale problem since some calendars could be shared with 100's of people.

I filed this as an enhancement.

Bug 6082 - enable notification for delegate stores/shared folders
    Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Bug 6082 is marked for release with Franklin, which is 5.0 (our next major release).

We're targeting 5.0 for release on 10/15/07, and a Beta 1 of 5 will be released anytime now

This is a MAJOR bug for us, and Dan Karp is working hard on it

Thanks,
    john
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-06-2007 at 02:46 AM.

I've been bouncing through this a couple different ways...

1.) I could just give standard "view" access via the internal-to-Zimbra process. This would give users "basically" realtime data (they might occasionally have to click the "Refresh" icon, but they'd have immediate access to the data). The problem is that navigating users to subscribing to the calendars in this fashion can be mildly convoluted (I mean "I get how to do it", but some of our less technically savvy admins/faculty might get slightly confused).

2.) I could have them subscribe to the ICS versions of those calendars, which would be fairly easy (copy this URL into this field, voila, you're done). However, even clicking the "Refresh" icon doesn't update the ICS feed. I know that they can go, right-click on the calendar, and force a reload. However, before I'd suggest this model to "the masses" I'd really want to know "how often does it reload/refresh the ICS feed" by default? There's no notification in any fashion in the ICS model, it's 100% a pull architecture, so I'm not sure the bug you mention is actually going to really have any effect on that particular strategy.

If I knew that "ICSs are reloaded every couple hours" that might be fine for things like "event" calendars, or "college holiday" cals. But if it's "loaded once until you click reload", then it rapidly becomes useless, for obvious reasons. (I do know from testing that "logging out and logging back in" doesn't refresh the ICS cached copy).

Sound's like option 1 then (which does refresh on login).

While option 2 seems easier to subscribe-they'll have a harder time remembering to reload.

And as far as directions go-words, pics, and a walkthrough flash/wink are about all you can do. I think the best thing you'll find is those who 'get it' quickly help those that don't-at least of my experiences with college faculty/staff & students.

You could play with-in some kina batch way-ie they check a box on a portal page and it runs a script on your zimbra box:
    (sry my syntax is a little fuzzy but you get the idea)
    Code:
    zmmailbox
    mbox> adminAuthenticate -u https://server.domain.com:7071 admin@domain.com password
    mbox> selectMailbox user@domain.com
    mbox name@domain.com> createMountpoint --view appointment /athletic-calendar share@domain.com /Calendar
    Another cool thing you might do-also encourage people subscribe to an RSS feed of the cal in their folders area.
    Code:
    http://zimbra.domain.com/home/user/Calendar.atom
    Even more traffic-but you could force out a folder called 'feeds' and put a rss of all the cal's in it...
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-06-2007 at 04:06 AM.

joe.lorenz is offline Intermediate Member

Thumbs up Seeing a full month on a Calendar

Hey, A follow-up to my previous question about Shared Calendars.

I played with publishing the calendars like you suggested. Thank you for the tip. When I am logged into the Zimbra as a user is able to access the shaered calendar as I would expect.

Is there a way to do something similar with public access through http://zimbramailserver/home/joeuser/Calendar ? When I access the calendar through the published url I get the blasted .ics file and only 1 calendar item is there

I would like to be able to pull up the calendar like the calendar on the ZIMBRA community forms site. That's what I want...WHAT I REALLY-REALLY-WANT!

How do I do that?

Thanx, Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information