Thread: [SOLVED] robots.txt?

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Default [SOLVED] robots.txt?

I'd like to discourage automated pounding of REST URLs, googling of unintentionally public wikis, google-hacking in case I'm a day late in applying a critical security patch, etc. [How] can I add a restrictive root-level robots.txt?

Yes, I'm well aware that this isn't a real security measure, but it helps, especially against casual google-hacking.

sturgis is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    I'd like to discourage automated pounding of REST URLs, googling of unintentionally public wikis, google-hacking in case I'm a day late in applying a critical security patch, etc. [How] can I add a restrictive root-level robots.txt?

Yes, I'm well aware that this isn't a real security measure, but it helps, especially against casual google-hacking.
    Did you find the way?
    I don't like google to index my zimbra...

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Robots.txt doesn't really apply to dynamic pages.
    As for the "unintentionally public wikis", google's only going to find them if there's a link to them somewhere.

Robots.txt doesn't really apply to dynamic pages.
    Huh? All search engines follow https links with query parameters nowadays (Google was the first to do so). But if you tell robots.txt to Disallow * from /, Google won't index the site.

We just need to know how to drop a robots.txt into the virtual web root. I'm sure I could figure it out eventually, but I don't (currently) speak Java or Tomcat and am not that convinced that I need to speak the latter if you're switching to Jetty in just a few months.

tikal is offline Senior Member

So what do I need to do to create a robots.txt file for all the different domains I'm using to access the server? Can I create one robots file for all the domains, or does a different one need to be created for each domain. I'm only using six domain names to access the server, so it would not be tough to create them all individually. Various bots are are showing up in my log files looking a robots.txt file and trying to index things. I do not want this. Can someone point me in the right direction or give me instructions?

I haven't done this, but remain interested in doing so.

shawnlhood is offline Active Member

*bump*

I don't like my webmail login page being indexed.

You can add <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> to the <head> section of /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/login.jsp; zmmailboxd stop; flush the /opt/zimbra/jetty/work/zimbra/jsp/org/apache/jsp/public_/ directory; zmmailboxd start.

This would have to be done again after every minor software update.

If you're really still running 4.5.6, that's /opt/zimbra/tomcat. If you're not, update your forum profile.

I'd still like to be able to drop in a robots.txt to deal with the case of spiders starting somewhere other than root (public wikis, calendars, etc).

tikal is offline Senior Member

I feel that a robots.txt file preconfigured with "no indexing" options should come as a default part of ZCS. Or at least, the aforementioned meta tags should be included as a default. Although I'm sure some people would not like this feature, I feel pretty confident that most would really appreciate this. I really am not looking forward to having to manually fix this after every ZCS update.
    Last edited by tikal; 09-18-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information