Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Mark item as read'

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Default 'Mark item as read'

I don't see any option to change the 'mark item as read' option (if there is such an option) for email. Currently if an email is highlighted it gets marked as read, This happens when the first message in the inbox is new and I enter the mailbox - the message is instantly marked as read.

I prefer to leave email alone until I actually read them and change them to 'read'. Will there be an option to change this behaviour?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer

Right-click on the message then click on Mark Message as Unread.

Yes, I know about that feature but it's not the one I really meant - I didn't explain very well in my post above. I meant the automatic marking of records as read. If I do your suggestion and it's the first email in the inbox it gets changed to unread, if I then switch to another folder and then back to the inbox it gets changed to read automatically because the first email is automatically selected.

In Outlook, and other mail systems I've used, you can change that behaviour to never mark the message or change it after a set period of being highlighted. I prefer to never automatically mark them as read.
    Regards

Bill

KevinH is offline Expert Member

We can look at adding an option for this. Would you expect a click on a message to then mark it as read? Or do you always have to select the 'mark as read' menu option?

My own preference is to leave email as unread if I'm using a webmail gui but mark it as read when I open it in something like Outlook or Evolution. Maybe, if it's possible, a double-click could be made to mark it as read in the Zimbra GUI?
    Regards

Bill

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Thanks for the feedback. I see your point butthis would have to be an option since for folks like me who use the Web UI exclusivly we want the read flag set automatically. I'll add an RFE for these options.

Many thanks for that. An option would be the best erm, option. I know that not everyone wants my method of marking mail read.
    Regards

Bill

JZMatrix is offline New Member

That last posts about this item were in Nov/05, have there been any updates on this function since then? I also would appreciate to have an option to leave highlighted messages left as unread, unless either I click on them to read them, I right-click and mark as read, or perhaphs a set period of time elapses (say 10-15 seconds). Anything other than immediately mark a highlighted message as read, since I might not actually be reading that message, and having to mark each message as un-read if I inadvertently click on it (or it happens to be highlighted when I log in) becomes a nuisance after a while.

orlanth is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JZMatrix
    That last posts about this item were in Nov/05, have there been any updates on this function since then? I also would appreciate to have an option to leave highlighted messages left as unread, unless either I click on them to read them, I right-click and mark as read, or perhaphs a set period of time elapses (say 10-15 seconds). Anything other than immediately mark a highlighted message as read, since I might not actually be reading that message, and having to mark each message as un-read if I inadvertently click on it (or it happens to be highlighted when I log in) becomes a nuisance after a while.
    I also would like to know if there has been any progress on this feature or planned implementation.

As with the inability to permanently disable the reading pane, anytime you cursor over a message, it automatically marks the message as read. Also, when you first open your email, the very first message is marked read. This is highly annoying behavior, and our company would appreciate that can be changed via a settings checkbox.

The best thing you can do is to look in bugzilla and see if this was ever entered as an RFE, if not then feel free to enter it and vote on the item. That is the best method for getting enhancements noticed by zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information