Thread: Enable globally a read receipt [PARTIALLY SOLVED]

tommy is offline Intermediate Member

Default Enable globally a read receipt [PARTIALLY SOLVED]

Hello!
    I know this has been asked a thousand times, but here goes:
    I'm trying to setup Zimbra for a customer that wants ALL of its Zimbra users to have read receipts on every single mail sent. Since I know that this is still in the works for Zimbra, is there any way I can enable this feature globally, through postfix configuration or specially crafted hmtl mail?
    Mind I'm not asking (for the time being) to create a new feature in Zimbra, just if there is a workaround to enable this read receipt globally through a workaround of some sort.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    Ciao
    tommy
    Last edited by tommy; 05-17-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Change title to partially solved

Ok, I found out that I need a "Disposition-Notification-To" header inserted in the outgoing messages.
    Since our client needs this permanently for all Zimbra users, is there a way to insert it as default inside Zimbra (postfix I guess)?
    Thanks again!

I have done some search and posted to the potfix-users mailing list; from postfix it has been said that the "Disposition-Notification-To" header is not applied through MTA (postfix), but through MUA (zimbra, I guess).
    So where should I look to permanently add the aforementioned header to every single outgoing mail?
    Thanks again!

Default Partially Solved

Found a workaround! Even if forced and dirty, from the postfix-users mailing list, I received the following:

On Friday 18 May 2007 00:27:07, Noel Jones wrote:
    > Use a check_sender_access table. Do this in smtpd_data_restrictions
    > so it only gets added once.
    >
    > # main.cf
    > smtpd_data_restrictions =
    > check_sender_access regexp:/etc/postfix/add_goofy_header
    >
    > # add_goofy_header
    > /(.*@mydomain\.tld)$/ PREPEND Disposition-Notification-To: $1

So what I did was:

1. edit the /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml file and add the following (in bold):
    Code:
    <key name="postfix_smtpd_data_restrictions">
        <value>reject_unauth_pipelining, check_sender_access regexp:/opt/zimbra/conf/add_goofy_header</value>
    </key>
    2. create the /opt/zimbra/conf/add_goofy_header file:
    Code:
    /(.*@mydomain\.tld)$/    PREPEND Disposition-Notification-To: $1
    where mydomain is the domain name and tld the extension.

3. restart zimbra (maybe only mta restart needed)

Tadaa! Read receipt requested for everyone in the specified domain.

This will keep our customer happy for a while.

P.S. This is VEERY dirty indeed, and I have been said REPEATEDLY in postfix-users that it is preferable NOT to use it, because the MUA (zimbra) must handle it. So pleaaaase, devels, 77 votes 'til now!

scalper is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Very cool indeed. Some of my customers also asking for this read receipt feature. Still figuring how to deploy one.. until I found this post Will give it a try to my test box soon..

Artturi is offline Loyal Member

This is indeed a step forward, but as I see it, zimbra users won't get any question whether to emit a read receipt or no.
    Any idea about that ?

Regards,
    Artturi

Artturi,
    no, I don't think this is possible currently; as mentioned, this hack works on the MTA (Mail Transport Agent), which in zimbra's case is postfix.
    The MUA (Mail User Agent), zimbra in this case, should be the sole responsible for implementing it natively and correctly, since it is the one that handles the graphic interface connecting to the user (and should ask the user whether to send a notification -outgoing- or popup the delivery notification -incoming).
    In this case, postfix inserts (in a dirty way) the header responsible for popping up the notification on the receiving MUA (outlook, thunderbird, kmail, others), but postfix doesn't know how to handle it; it just inserts the header and sends it.

At the same time, if zimbra receives a "Disposition-Notification-To" header, at the current state, it gets ignored.

So, as I see it, you can only enable it - without final user intervention - for the whole domain or for certain persons in the domain, but it will be enabled for each and every mail going out WITHOUT ANY interaction with the sender, at least until an admin removes the instruction manually from localconfig.xml and delete the add_goofy_header file.
    And this may work or not, or may present other problems which I'm not aware of yet. I only know it has been strongly discouraged (and I'll go on saying that) from postfix-users, due to being an MUA option, not an MTA option, since the MTA should not insert headers that should be user-decided.
    Last edited by tommy; 05-18-2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: underline the lack of interaction

Artturi is offline Loyal Member

Thanks for the clarification.
    Maybe we can hope someone comes with a hack giving a "accept/decline" functionality as for calendar invitations...

Regards,
    Artturi

reza225 is offline Advanced Member

is there any way to implement this for only one domain? I host about 10 domains right now, one of which is a lawyer who NEEDS to use read receipts for legal purposes. I know ZCS is going to support it in v5, unfortunately i cannot wait until then, but i can't have read receipts for everyone on the server. know a way to implement it only on one domain/account?
    thanks for the informative post tommy

Thread Information