Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /dev/null'ing an email address

john@pando.com is offline Junior Member

Default /dev/null'ing an email address

Hello,
    I have an email address I want to devnull. Prior to zimbra, I used an entry in /etc/aliases along the lines of "foo: /dev/null" but it appears that zimbra ignores this. I get a lot of email on this address and don't even want the system processing it and wish for it to be dropped right at the threshhold. The address btw, does not exist in zimbra either.

I have run newaliases, and run postalias hash:/etc/aliases.

Any one have an idea for me?

soxfan is offline Moderator

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but if the account/email address doesn't exist on the email server shouldn't Postfix completely reject any messages sent to this address with a "User unknown in local recipient table" message? Can't see how this would be any more processing than accepting the message and then dumping it to /dev/null.

We send 10000's of emails out a day on behalf of our users to their friends. Since we don't forge the Sender email address, we send all of this email out as this "service address". Unfortunately, typos are made by our users, so some percentage of the emails bounce and arrive back at my zimbra server. I don't want to reject them since they originate from my domain(and the address is technically a valid address), but I don't want to save or read them, and I don't want to have the zimbra server spend any time processing them. Which is why I had an alias /dev/null'ing them.

So, anyone know how to make the /etc/aliases file actually do what its supposed to do?

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but if the account/email address doesn't exist on the email server shouldn't Postfix completely reject any messages sent to this address with a "User unknown in local recipient table" message? Can't see how this would be any more processing than accepting the message and then dumping it to /dev/null.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

The postfix config files you're looking for live in /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf. I'm not sure about the "right" way to make changes that will persist across Zimbra upgrades, but once you find the config files, Zimbra's installation of postfix can be configured just like any other.

In a larger sense: You are describing a straighforward way to get all mail from your domain dumped into the AOL/Hotmail/etc. Junk folder, or worse. You need to identify and stop sending mail to those invalid addresses. Do some research on variable envelope return path (VERP) or the like and have a program process bounces for you. Yoou should blacklist recipient addresses that regularly bounce, and investigate users that regularly send mail to lots of bouncing addresses.

Rich,
    I appreciate your recommendations. I imagine you see quite a lot of questions that require your reply.

That said, if you haven't ever tried pando(and therefore are not familiar with how it works), its a client that lets a user send up to 1gb of files to an email addy via email. Part of that function is that we handle sending the email on behalf of the user(yes, there are processes in place to disallow the use of the client as a spam tool).

We currently have over 6.5 million installs and are growing by more than a million installs a month. We have over 300,000 transactions a day which even when a very small fraction of a percent fat finger their buddy's addy causes a considerable amount of bounces to the service address.

So, now, again, if anyone has any relevant idea on how to make the /etc/aliases file actually work. I would really like to hear about it, because it doesn't.

And to confirm, yes "newaliases" has been run, so has "postalias hash:/etc/aliases" and yes /etc/aliases shows up under postconf as where the aliases file exists. I am not saying I don't have something missconfigured, but so far the obvious ones are covered and correct.

Does anyone from Zimbra actually read these forums?

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    The postfix config files you're looking for live in /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf. I'm not sure about the "right" way to make changes that will persist across Zimbra upgrades, but once you find the config files, Zimbra's installation of postfix can be configured just like any other.

In a larger sense: You are describing a straighforward way to get all mail from your domain dumped into the AOL/Hotmail/etc. Junk folder, or worse. You need to identify and stop sending mail to those invalid addresses. Do some research on variable envelope return path (VERP) or the like and have a program process bounces for you. Yoou should blacklist recipient addresses that regularly bounce, and investigate users that regularly send mail to lots of bouncing addresses.

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by john@pando.com View Post
    Did you try to search the forum or the wiki ?
    Have you checked the bugzilla ?

Oh, and if it's _that_ important to get the answer in less than 20 hours, have to tried to go through support ?

Hint : if you really want to devnull an email address, search either forum or wiki with "/dev/null"...
    If you want to use /etc/aliases maybe using a smarthost could be the way (but I do second Rich : devnulling the bounces is bad).
    Last edited by Klug; 05-11-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

To reiterate more simply:

You need to use the postalias binaries and the postfix config files located in /opt/zimbra, not in /usr and /etc.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by john@pando.com View Post
    Yes, they do when they have the time. These are user (i.e. community) support forums and we try to answer as many questions as time permits.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    To reiterate more simply:

You need to use the postalias binaries and the postfix config files located in /opt/zimbra, not in /usr and /etc.
    To clarify: I am using the zimbra binaries on the system. In addition, postfix does not exist on the server outside of zimbra. The /etc/aliases file is from zimbra, and zimbra's postconf shows that it is refering to the /etc/aliases file.

thank you for your input though. Its always good to check the obvious stuff.

John

Phoenix, I appreciate you stopping by. Is there a more appropriate place to ask this question? We just installed and rolled out Network Pro after a good bit of testing. This was unfortunately something we did not test. So far nothing on the wiki or the forums has had appropriate info.

Thanks.

John

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, they do when they have the time. These are user (i.e. community) support forums and we try to answer as many questions as time permits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information