Thread: i am so tired for zimbra update too quickly!!

nxzwt is offline Project Contributor

Default i am so tired for zimbra update too quickly!!

i should say:i am so tired for zimbra update too quickly!!

it update every 2 weeks.i appreciate the developer for their perfect works,but sometimes updating too quickly means we do not test the program strictly!

as a administrator for the mail server,i am puzzled by the updating.i do not know how i can change the new version as the zimbra changes.if i do not update ,i worried about the holes,if i do, i worried about lost my server data.

i suggest zimbra update every 6 month and do strictly test before release a new version.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by nxzwt View Post

it update every 2 weeks.i appreciate the developer for their perfect works,but sometimes updating too quickly means we do not test the program strictly!

as a administrator for the mail server,i am puzzled by the updating.i do not know how i can change the new version as the zimbra changes.if i do not update ,i worried about the holes,if i do, i worried about lost my server data.

i suggest zimbra update every 6 month and do strictly test before release a new version.
    Hi nxzwt,
    We appreciate your suggestions!

It's difficult for us because we always want to ensure that our customers (both OSS and NE) have their systems running properly.

For example, there was a critical ClamAV update that came out. It would not have been responsible for us to wait any longer.

We invent many of the technologies and techniques as we go. We built the framework, and are learning as we grow.

With that said, no one is making you update, and you can feel free to update every six months. We have deployments that follow that kind of upgrade strategy.

Microsoft changed their update strategy to every month. As an IT admin, I hate it, but I'm glad knowing that I'm protected. Even though they have a regular update schedule, they still get a lot of flack for not updating "as needed".

We really can't win either way. . .so, we put the updates out there, and you choose when to update, not us.

Thanks again,
    john

anotherseed is offline New Member

Perhaps you (or a community member) can provide debian/apt and yum repositories to upgrade easily? That's one of the advantages of Linux.

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nxzwt View Post

Wow...this is a though one. As jholder said, if Zimbra isn't updated people will complain and possibly be at risk. If it is updated people complain they need to update...talk about a no win for the company.

I am going to hop on my soap box here for a minute, so feel free to ignore me...

As an IT professional for the last 15 years or so, I have seen both very good and very bad environments. What I have learned is that the good environments (among other things) make time for R/D and Q/A, the ones who don't do this are always in the re-active mode, which then adversely impacts the end users (the people who make it possible for the IT professionals to have jobs).

Updates are a part of life as an IT person. It is important that you evaluate the update in a couple stages. The first, Zimbra does EXCELLENT release notes on new version. It is always a good idea to read them and decide if there is anything in there that impacts your organization and see if they are "nice to have", "critical", or "security related". You can then see how quickly you need to do this update. After you do this evaluation, look at other side factors that will impact your end users. For example, if this update is issued on Monday and you have your monthly maintenance scheduled for Friday, it make sense to wrap it into the maintenance so as to not impact users twice as much as you would have to.

Anyway, this is heading off topic and I have used my soap box time for the month. I would much rather Zimbra side with too much then too little, unless it is multiple releases a day, that might be a bit too much

raynix is offline Project Contributor

“multiple releases a day, that might be a bit too much”

I have to agree with this

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by anotherseed View Post
    Perhaps you (or a community member) can provide debian/apt and yum repositories to upgrade easily? That's one of the advantages of Linux.
    Great Question!

We actually were just talking about that yesterday!
    We're working on that, and it will be available in the future.

john

gsilver is offline Intermediate Member

Thumbs up apt rox my sox

I second the idea of repositories... one of the determining factors or me to switch from windows to linux (debian/ubuntu specifically) was the ease of use of apititude

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

One thing a few of us whinged about on the forums a while back were lack of good release notes. Since then they have improved immeasurably, and the portal provides even better detail to each point release, so now it makes it easy for us to look at each release and decide how important it is to install. Given this, the more frequent releases are not a problem at all. Thanks Zimbra!

Thread Information