Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Folders between users

plan9 is offline Loyal Member

Default Moving Folders between users

I have a user who has left the company. Does Zimbra offer any mechanism to move her folders to the mailbox of another user?

soxfan is offline Moderator

Someone might come up with an easier way, but I'd just set up Thunderbird with both old and new IMAP accounts. Then drag-and-drop folders from one account to the other. Obviously not very automated, but it does afford you the opportunity to do a little housecleaning on the old account before doing the copy.

Guest6400 is offline Senior Member

This would be a really nice feature as I've had to do this several times. Our way to do it was to just give the New User temp access to the Old User's Zimbra account(temp meaning until they don't need to see those emails).

The other way we were doing it is to setup the Old User in Outlook with the connector. Then you export to a PST. Then run an import as the New User and the folders should replicate properly.

The only thing I'd warn against is using the Import/Export built into Outlook as it will make any imported emails have the same date/time(the time of import).

Hopefully this helps a bit.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by plan9 View Post
    I have a user who has left the company. Does Zimbra offer any mechanism to move her folders to the mailbox of another user?
    No, there's nothing like that in Zimbra. As soxfan said, Thunderbird - two accounts, drag 'n' drop. It should take you about five minutes to set it up plus the copy time.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

area is offline Active Member

I looked at this issue in the last few days and explored the option of exporting a user's mail folders and importing them under a folder of another user (such as the admin user). My aim was to do the export/import completely on the server and with a view to automating the 'move' operation.

My summary of the export/import options is below. There is no easy or perfect way of doing this and after all this testing, I think I will use Thunderbird to transfer the folders.

Exporting can be done two ways:

a) using the zmmboxsearch command on the user's account with a query of 'before today''; this dumps
    all emails from all folders into the one directory with file names like:

00502_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_466
    00500_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_467
    00501_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_465
    00498_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_468
    00499_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_469
    00497_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_471
    00494_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_473
    00495_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_472
    00496_bf1458f7-e1aa-4dd4-addd-04f65331093d_470

It doesn't preserve folder structures. An example command to dump all the emails from all folders
    for a user to /var/tmp/ would be:

su - zimbra -c "zmmboxsearch --query 'before:today' --mbox fred@yourcompany.com --dir /var/tmp/fred --limit 9999"

b) using a REST URL from either a browser or the command line using the wget command: eg:

wget --no-check-certificate --http-user=fred@yourcompany.com --http-passwd=password \
    "https://zimbra.yourcompany.com/zimbra/home/fred@yourcompany.com/Inbox.zip"

However, this can only be done on a per-folder basis - there is a parameter in the specifications
    to get all folders ('recursive=1') but the server responds with 'not implemented yet'.

Question to Zimbra folks - any update on when this option will be available?

You could write a script to list all the email folders for a user and then run wget for each folder
    so that you would end up a .zip file for each folder.

Importing to a new folder on another account can be done from both types of export:

a) directly from the directory of email messages saved by zmmboxsearch: eg:

su - zimbra -c "zmmailbox -z -m admin@yourcompany.com"
    createFolder /Fred
    addmessage /Fred /var/tmp/fred

b) unzipping each .zip file to a folder (the folder structure is recorded in the .zip file) and then
    importing each folder one at a time:

cd /var/tmp
    unzip /tmp/Inbox.zip
    su - zimbra -c "zmmailbox -z -m admin@yourcompany.com"
    createFolder /Fred
    addmessage /Fred /var/tmp/Inbox

However, the received date of all the messages is set to today; ie: the date the message was received. I did once write a script to update the received date in the MySQL database to the date from the Date: header of the email.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Just as a note, the zmmboxsearch tool is network edition only.

Question to Zimbra folks - any update on when this option will be available?
    Moving folders between users?
    In 5.0, we'll have sharing between users, I realize this isn't exactly the same thing, but it's a step in the right direction.

Is there an enhancement for this? I couldn't find it. If there isn't, file one. If there is, get your friends to vote on it. That's how we decide what gets in and what doesnt.

john

area is offline Active Member

My question to the Zimbra folks was regarding the 'recursive=1' option to a REST URL which is listed in the REST specifications but the response from the Zimbra server is 'not implemented yet'.

Any update on when this option will be available?

Alternatively, is there some other way to get all a user's emails from all folders using REST?

mmorse is offline Moderator

ewilen is offline Moderator

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that thread addresses migrating non-mail data between accounts. So I've created Bug 39959 - RFE: transfer folder to different user / move folders between accounts

dipeshmehta is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by plan9 View Post
    As this thread is too old, I just want to know, if it is available in current zimbra versions?

Dipesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information