Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI – Problem

sant0sk1 is offline Junior Member

I have resolved the "no samba domains" issue by reconfiguring Samba correctly. I had the ldap admin dn misconfigured so Samba could not authenticate to Zimbra LDAP correctly.

However, I still receive the libsasl2 "no version information available" on the Zimbra server when executing "net" commands... oh well I guess

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

if you prefix your net commands (or anything else for that matter) with:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
    it should force system libs to be used in preference to zimbra libs

Thanks dijichi2, that does fix my net commands.

I am trying to get a windows XP client to join the domain I have created but am receiving a DNS error.

"DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.test.com

Nowhere in Greg's walk-through does it specify a need for a DNS SRV record. Has anybody else come across this?

mm that sounds like active directory related maybe? samba currently only really supports nt4-style domains, ie it acts like a PDC.

I have followed Greg's samba configuration from this howto to the T.

Isn't he setting up Samba as an NT4 PDC?

hmm, in that case it's probably straight forward resolution error. if you're resolving through netbios/wins, make sure nmbd is started and configured correctly, and make sure your normal dns is set correctly. srv records are not a requirement to run samba pdc.

Greg is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by sant0sk1 View Post
    Thanks dijichi2, that does fix my net commands.

I am trying to get a windows XP client to join the domain I have created but am receiving a DNS error.

"DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.test.com

Nowhere in Greg's walk-through does it specify a need for a DNS SRV record. Has anybody else come across this?
    I had a similar problem when I forgot to configure the WINS server. This error means that your DNS server does not know where to find the domain controller for test.com. What you can do is configure your Samba to act as WINS server as well and tell the XP client to use that WINS server.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!
    P.S.: don't forget to vote on this bug
    add Samba LDAP entries to Exchange Migration Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    What you can do is configure your Samba to act as WINS server as well and tell the XP client to use that WINS server.
    I have 2 entries in my samba config related to wins:

1) wins support = yes
    2) name resolve order = wins bcast hosts

Is there any additional configuration to get samba to act as wins server? Also I have my XP Client set up to use the samba server's IP as the wins server.

Ok problem solved. I had to add a static WINS entry on my samba server.

So if the domain is test.com, you edit (in Ubuntu 6.10 using samba 3) /var/lib/samba/wins.dat and add a line that looks like this:

"TEST.COM#00" 0 xx.xx.xx.xx 66R

Then /etc/init.d/samba restart and I could join the test.com domain just fine. Nice...

RickG is offline Junior Member

Default Samba Authentication issue

Hi All, I have been using the guide for the last few days trying to get it working on Ubuntu 6.10 Server running in VMWare. The previous posts have helped me with a few issues, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH one for sure with getting samba to not complain.

I seem to have everything working except for Samba authentication. If I make a user in the Zimbra Admin interface, the user is added and I can log into the Zimbra interface, as well as login from the console (after creating a home directory manually).

but, if i try to use that user with samba, I get the error..

Code:
    smbclient -U <myuser> -W <myworkgroup> //<myserver>/<myuser>
    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    To be able to use Samba .. i have to manually run "sbpasswd -a <user>" to add a samba password for the user. its adds a few keys for the user record in the LDAP tree. So it is using the LDAP directory for the records.

my question is, did I miss some step that gets these things done automatically when you create a user in the Zimbra Interface? Or is this a configuration error with my Samba -> LDAP set up. Possibly the encryption mechanism its using when it makes the "sambaNTPassword" key.

Also, what is the field "memberUid" suppose to be set to when adding a PosixGroup in the Admin Interface, I couldn't find mention of it in the Guide, other than making an index for it. Currently it is blank in my Posix Group.

One other note that may be important...
    When installing either libnss_ldap or libpam_ldap (i forget which one) it asks for a few configuration options that the guide did not mention, such as what type of encryption to use for the passwords. the default was "crypt" but there was a few other settings, one of which had to do with openldap. Could someone please advise me on which one those i should be using..

Thank you all for any help, been a bit frustrated trying to solve these last couple issues I have been having.

-Rick

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information