Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Network Edition] About Backup...

labynocle is offline Senior Member

Question [Network Edition] About Backup...

Hi there,

I have a question about backup with a network edition.

I would like to create a little script that make the following command :
    zmbackup -del 7d -t /data/zimbra-backup/
    zmbackup -i -a all -t /data/zimbra-backup/ --zip (so if there is not a full backup detected the zmbackup will create it)

ok it's quiet simple : each time a fullbackup will be erased a new one will be generated... but just imagine the following situation :the full backup is the reference for several incremental backups... but if this full backup doesn't exist what is the interest to keep the incremental backups ? They are useless, aren't they ?
    And I will have old-useless incremental backup and a new full which is the new reference !

May be there is an option for zmbackup -del that allow you to erase corresponding incremental backups... and may be I did'nt search enough !

So please if you have any clue... I can do it by my self (with a little perl script) if there is no solution

Excuse my poor english level !

Erwan
    Aleikoum ne mesure pas le web !
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

chh
    chh is offline Advanced Member

Good idea, that Zimbra should delete unneeded incrementals by itself.

Your system has a weak point. After deleting the full backup you are vunerable to complete data loss until your next full backup is through.

That is how we do backups:
    We do 1 full backup a week (Saturday) and then daily incremental backups using cron and dedicated commands for full and incremental.
    After the full backup we delete all backups that are older than 8 days (so until Friday the week before).
    This way we always have 2 full backups with their incrementals at hand (and on disk) to go back quickly for single users.
    Older backups are backed up to tape of course.

Christian
    Last edited by chh; 05-04-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Klug is online now Moderator

Christian is right, I'd rather talk in "number of days" to find the incremental related to a full.

But beware of the full backup functionnality...
    Each time you add a user (or when a new mailbox is accessed for the first time I'm don't know exactly), a full backup is done (at night) even if it was suppose to be an incremental.

chh
    chh is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    But beware of the full backup functionnality...
    Each time you add a user (or when a new mailbox is accessed for the first time I'm don't know exactly), a full backup is done (at night) even if it was suppose to be an incremental.
    Oh this is good to know. Getting a 3rd full backup might fill up the filesystem where we backup to.

Thanks

Check your /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions directory.

On one of my servers, I have the very "standard" backup setup (one full each week-end, one incremental each night, delete after one month).

But here's what lies in this directory, because of adding users during last month :
    Code:
    full-20070406.230011.769
    full-20070413.230012.325
    full-20070420.230011.413
    full-20070423.230014.609
    full-20070427.230011.494
    full-20070428.230030.386
    full-20070429.230139.541
    and lots of incremental, of course...

first I want to thank you for the replies !

christian > yep it will be good if the zmbackup command could auto-erase the old useless incremental backup when the reference/corresponding full backup is erased...

when you say "After deleting the full backup you are vunerable to complete data loss until your next full backup is through", I'm not really agree with this. A full backup will be generated if you want to create an incremental backup without any reference (I don't know if you can really understand what I mean )... so finally there is no weak point ?

klug > thank you for the information about backup and new user !

when you talk about standard backup setup, you mean what I can find on the crontab ?

My real problem about backup is the size... I don't have a large disk space for the backup. This is why I imagine that my method is a good compromise to have always something...
    But if you have any better idea...

Erwan
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    when you talk about standard backup setup, you mean what I can find on the crontab ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    My real problem about backup is the size... I don't have a large disk space for the backup. This is why I imagine that my method is a good compromise to have always something...
    But if you have any better idea...
    I'll tell you what I tell to all my customers with this kind of issue : buy yourself some cheap storage 8)

I'm telling this especially to customers who already own a SAN (or SAS/SCSI DAS) : it's (very) nice to handle Zimbra but it's way too quick and feature full and expensive to host the backup files...

An iSCSI enclosure is cheap and perfect for this kind of use ; you can rely on RAID5 (or 6) with SATA2 and if you build your own.

You'll buy less than 4000 € for a 7x250GB (expandable to 16 SATA2 HD) server (with a 16 ports 3ware card, dualcore Xeon, 2GB of RAM and e-Open iSCSI). That's 1.5TB you can use...
    Same kind of hardware (EMC for Dell), the AX150i is about 8000€ (with silver service).

And you can obviously do other things with the iSCSI SAN : NAS, backup consolidation, etc.

oky... I will study the question of a cheap storage !

thank you again for the informations
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

Attention, cheap storage (and/or filesync) is not "backup" (pas sr d'tre clair l).

In order to consider it as "true backup", you have to keep our storage appliance far away (another datacentre) from your Zimbra servers and to have a proper backup policy (that's not just an export of /opt/zimbra/backup).

For example, a full monthly backup, a full trimestrial backup, a full semester backup, a full yearly backup and so on.
    With, obviously, anything needed to reinstall a full Zimbra server (correct OS + drivers + patches, correct Zimbra revision, etc) for each full backup you've made.

yep yep ! We have a real storage policy and I will add my zimbra backup to it ! But I have the feeling that will be short for the zimbra backup and may be a specific storage policy will be conceivable...
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information