Thread: Email Filter - "address in" GAL

JasonChase is offline Active Member

Question Email Filter - "address in" GAL

Spam is a BIG headache for us. We have users that have had their email addresses posted on a website for years. They are on every spammers email list and they cannot change their address. Some of them receive 90% spam.

The spam filters, like spamassassin, that are included with Zimbra do a great job filtering spam but they don't get everything. We setup a set of filters that do the following:

1) If the From address is in their contacts list, the mail is left in the INBOX.
    2) If the From address is not in their contact but the mail is addressed to them, the mail is moved to possible spam.
    3) If the From address is not in their contacts and the mail is not address to them, its moved to the Junk folder.

We have added an exception to allow mail that claims to be from our domain. That allows all inter-office mail to stay in the INBOX but it also allows a small amount of spam through daily.

My users have forgotten just how much spam they used to receive and are now complaining about these few emails.

Now my question: Can you have a filter that looks for email address in the GAL? I would like to check the veracity of the From field. If they claim to be from our domain, but that address doesn't exist in our domain the email should be tagged as spam.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jason

tbullock is offline Advanced Member

In my opinion you are spending your energy combating SPAM in the wrong areas. Trying to set up mail filters is not an efficient way of combating SPAM.

Have you searched the wiki and the forums on this topic? I think you may find far better solutions than what you are attempting. There are some good ways to improve the built in SPAM protection that Zimbra offers.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

JasonChase is offline Active Member

I have and we saw great improvement but it wasn't 100%. This solution works quite well as it works in combination with the Zimbra spam filters.

Can you filter email using the GAL?

tbullock is offline Advanced Member

I am sure it is possible with scripts but I wouldn't know how to do it.

You may need to research the wiki again. I think there is some information in there for setting up "challenge and response".

Search for "whitelists" or "Greylists" and see what you get. I am pretty sure there is some people who have implemented these systems.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

Thread Information