Thread: maximal_queue_lifetime

jrh
    jrh is offline Member

Default maximal_queue_lifetime

My users are complaining about the 5 day limit zimbra uses for determining if a message can be delivered. At least I think it's 5 days, or close to it. Some research on postfix shows this as being the maximal_queue_lifetime variable in the main.cf, something that I thought was regenerated every restart by zimbra. So obviously I can't use that.

The end result that we want, in case I am barking up the wrong tree, is that any email sent out should be returned much quicker so appropriate action can be taken. It doesn't matter if it's ours or their fault really, but we need to know if an email can reach it's destination way before a week is up.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Default maximal_queue_lifetime

jrh, I know this is an old post-but when I did a forums search for maximal_queue_lifetime I came across your thread.

Didn't know if you still needed closure-might want to see my post here:
    Automatically Drop Deffered Mail -PM to thread

OR just read my copy/paste below:
    ---------------------------------

maximal_queue_lifetime (default: 5d) The maximal time a message is queued before it is sent back as undeliverable.
    Time units: s (seconds), m (minutes), h (hours), d (days), w (weeks). The default time unit is d (days).
    Specify 0 when mail delivery should be tried only once.

---
    You essentially want maximal_queue_lifetime in postfix's main.conf
    However, you cannot edit main.conf directly-it will overwrite on every startup. (essentially you will never get a change to apply it via a postfix refresh.)

so:

>su zimbra
    and read up on maximal_queue_lifetime via:
    >man 5 postconf (scroll down/search for the maximal_queue_lifetime section)
    to learn how postconf works also read:
    >man postconf

----
    also kinda relevant to you/anyone else searching this thread later:

queue_run_delay (default: 300s) The time between deferred queue scans by the queue manager; prior to Postfix 2.4 the default value was 1000s.
    This parameter should be set less than or equal to $minimal_backoff_time.
    Time units: s (seconds), m (minutes), h (hours), d (days), w (weeks). The default time unit is s (seconds).

minimal_backoff_time (default: 300s) The minimal time between attempts to deliver a deferred message; prior to Postfix 2.4 the default value was 1000s.
    This parameter also limits the time an unreachable destination is kept in the short-term, in-memory, destination status cache.
    This parameter should be set greater than or equal to $queue_run_delay.
    Time units: s (seconds), m (minutes), h (hours), d (days), w (weeks). The default time unit is s (seconds).

maximal_backoff_time (default: 4000s) The maximal time between attempts to deliver a deferred message.
    This parameter should be set to a value greater than or equal to $minimal_backoff_time.
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-29-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Thread Information