Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get POP Mail error

rajahd is offline Special Member

Default Get POP Mail error

I'm runnign Zimbra OS 4.5.4 on an Ubuntu server. The last change to the server was when I upgraded from 4.5.1 to 4.5.4 about 2 weeks ago.

Just today I started receiving the following pop-up error message when clicking Get POP Mail:

"system failure: writing new object of type 5".

It gets 3 messages from the pop-account but does not clear those messages. When I click Get POP Mail it repeats this process (same 3 messages duplicated and then the error message).

I'm guess the next step is to get a different e-mail program installed so I can download and examine the messages in the POP mailbox...? Anyone else run into this problem?

tbullock is offline Advanced Member

Not sure about the error message, but if it keeps getting the same 3 messages then the 4th would logically be the one causing a problem.

You could use your Zimbra Admin console to view the account and then "View Mail". Look at the next message in line via your web client and delete if necessary, if it is SPAM or something.

Finding out why that 4th message down is causing a problem is beyond me.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

I'm trying to isolate the message right now. Would it be helpful, assuming I can narrow it down to a specific message, to forward a copy of the raw mail file from the POP3 mail server to someone at Zimbra? The server in question is a Fedora Core 5(I think) server. Not sure what mail services it's running.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

I dont know if the error you are getting is part of the POP3 client, or coming from the mail server itself.. and I'm unsure if you're familiar with the POP3 protocol - but you can "telnet mailserver 110" from a terminal and manually retrieve the 4th message and see if it dumps the entire message without an error, or if it spills out an error.

Below is a sample session.. the bold red things are what you type, the rest is what the server spits out. My mail server is called "infinity" in this example. The messages your zimbra server spill back out may differ, but you type in the USER/PASS/RETR combinations, and you should get "OK"'s back from the server between each.

[infinity:~] kristofe% telnet infinity 110
    Trying 10.10.2.1...
    Connected to infinity.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK POP3 Ready infinity 00020c97
    USER username@domain.com
    +OK USER username@domain.com set, mate
    PASS password
    +OK You are so in
    RETR 4
    +OK message follows

Basically see if it dumps out the entire email.. the very last line will be a single period "." on its own line. If it gets that far, its something in the email that your email client does not like.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I was able to retrieve and delete the messages using a different program (POP Peeper) without any problems. I would assume that if the problem was on the POP3 server I would have received an error regardless of the program I'm using to retrieve e-mail.

Just to be sure, however, I will restore the mailbox and try your suggestions for testing from a telnet session. Hopefully that will definitely point to either the POP3 server or Zimbra as the source of the error.

Thanks for the info on troubleshooting this!

That proved simple with such easy to follow instructions

I was able to log in and retrieve each of the 19 messages in the mail box. All of them reported no errors and had a "." as the last line. When I subsequently "Get POP Mail" in Zimbra I get the original error listed in the first post. I guess something in 1 of the messages is causing an error/bug to manifest in Zimbra.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

It does sound like an issue in particular to the original email/POP3 client you were using if the 2nd one was able to pull it down okay.

timK is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Error message happening on Yahoo! POP mail, too

Hi All,

I just tried setting up my POP accounts in Zimbra, which is a cool feature I was hoping for. I added two POP accounts from my personal hosting provider, and then Yahoo!.

However, when I added my POP Yahoo! account (yes, I subscribed to the 'plus' version of Yahoo! Mail to check out Zimbra functionality), I was unable to retrieve any mail from that account and received an error message.

Code:
    system failure: writing new object of type 5
    The connection tested SUCCESS through the Zimbra interface in the settings dialog under Options. The only noticable difference between the Yahoo! POP and my other 2 POP accounts is that Yahoo! POP requires SSL authentication (which I verified is on the correct port of 995).

Anyone out there know what I could try or have any similar experiences?

Thanks

bburtin is offline Zimbra Employee

Can someone please post the stack trace from /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log that's associated with this error?

timK is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Stack trace for error 5

Quote Originally Posted by bburtin View Post
    Can someone please post the stack trace from /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log that's associated with this error?
    OK, I tried to connect to Yahoo! POP mail while tail'ing the mailbox.log file and this is what I got (I 'xxxx'ed personally identifiable information):
    Code:
    2007-05-22 04:59:58,845 INFO  [Thread-614] [] mailbox - Importing POP3 messages from DataSource: { id=a5217587-a5dc-46df-9efb-6a1269ea86b5, type=pop3, isEnabled=true, name=xxxxxx@yahoo.com, host=pop.mail.yahoo.com, port=995, connectionType=ssl, username=xxxxxx, folderId=29342 }
    2007-05-22 05:00:00,337 INFO  [LmtpServer-752] [name=xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com;] mailbox - Added message id=105980 digest=wHe142giKoVn1YV0Lyr9tXFUDKw= mailbox=30 rcpt=xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com
    2007-05-22 05:00:00,383 WARN  [Thread-614] [] mailbox - Import from DataSource: { id=a5217587-a5dc-46df-9efb-6a1269ea86b5, type=pop3, isEnabled=true, name=xxxxxx@yahoo.com, host=pop.mail.yahoo.com, port=995, connectionType=ssl, username=xxxxxx, folderId=29342 } failed
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: writing new object of type 5
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:175)
            at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbMailItem.create(DbMailItem.java:167)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Message.create(Message.java:375)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessageInternal(Mailbox.java:3446)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:3327)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.java:3276)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Pop3Import.fetchMessages(Pop3Import.java:208)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Pop3Import.importData(Pop3Import.java:106)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceManager.importData(DataSourceManager.java:145)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ImportData$Pop3Client.run(ImportData.java:78)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Data truncation: Out of range value adjusted for column 'date' at row 1

Query being executed when exception was thrown:

com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement[10822] - INSERT INTO mboxgroup5.mail_item(mailbox_id,  id, type, parent_id, folder_id, index_id, imap_id, date, size, volume_id, blob_digest, unread, flags, tags, sender, subject, name, metadata, mod_metadata, change_date, mod_content) VALUES (5,  29922, 5, null, 29342, 29922, 29922, -2096596710, 8874, 1, 'N+ecmtZXoBmGqhLf6PsEXYirYoc=', 1, 2, 0, 'Frankie Moran', 'You are alpproved', null, 'd1:f0:1:s35:"Frankie Moran" <usxlbyp@qwest.net>1:vi10ee', 43294, 1179824400, 43294)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2868)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1573)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.serverExecute(ServerPreparedStatement.java:1160)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.executeInternal(ServerPreparedStatement.java:685)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1400)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1314)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1299)
            at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:233)
            at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbMailItem.create(DbMailItem.java:149)
            ... 9 more
    Out of range on the date field? Could this be the problem?

Thanks for your help

Update: I also added my gmail account to Zimbra POP access, which uses SSL to connect. It worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information