Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrade gone bad

  1. #1
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Upgrade gone bad

    I tried to upgrade from zimbra 3.0.1 to 4.5.4 over the weekend and got the following errors during the upgrade:

    Code:
    Updating from 3.2.0_M1
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to get config) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to get config) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    
    Checking 3.2.0_M2
    Updating from 3.2.0_M2
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to get config) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to get config) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    
    Updating from 4.5.0_RC1
    Failed to delete cn=timezones,cn=config,cn=zimbra: internal errorChecking 4.5.0_RC2
    
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup COS by name: default message: [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error]) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
    When I got in this morning, I have a number of people receiving errors in Outlook saying there is an internal server error: RR System failure: missing blob for id:12824 <changes with user>, change: 4038 <probably also changes with user>.

  2. #2
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    does anyone know what would cause the errors above?

  3. #3
    jholder's Avatar
    jholder is offline Former Zimbran
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Do you have a backup?
    If so, restore to that. Then do an upgrade from 3.x to 4.x then to 4.5

    Upgrades directly from the oldest to the newest arn't supported.

  4. #4
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I have restored the backup and got it back up and running. Just wondering what the error means since everything else seemed to go right and if i do see that error again i'd like to know what can be done about it (at least what caused it)

    Thanks,
    Kyle

  5. #5
    jholder's Avatar
    jholder is offline Former Zimbran
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    It looks like LDAP didn't get upgraded.
    If you didn't have a backup, you likely would have had to dump your LDAP DB, and re-import it.

    Trust me, it's a nightmare

    -john

  6. #6
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I had a backup of a snapshot from about 2hrs before luckily. Thanks for letting me know what it looks like happened, I'll probably attempt an upgrade to 4.0.x in the next week or two and make sure it's running right before going to 4.5.x.

    @ 1800 users I don't want to import anything I don't have to

    Thanks,
    Kyle

  7. #7
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I do have one other question,

    When restoring my backup it looks like some attachments weren't linked back correctly and has caused a fair amount of work in finding the broken emails. Is there a way to reindex all mailboxes and find out which messages are broken so we can remove them more easily?

    Thanks,
    kyle

  8. #8
    jholder's Avatar
    jholder is offline Former Zimbran
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I wonder why that happened. . .Did you follow the Wiki backup instructions?
    If so, you currently can't reindex from the command line, you have to do it from the admin ui, account by account.

  9. #9
    kechols is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I'm backing up from a snapshot and forgot to cd to the shapshot before running tar so the hardlinks created to attachments for multiple recipients broke.
    when restoring from backup, instead of restoring to /opt/zimbra it was restored to /opt/zimbra/media/zimbra-snap (i extracted from the /opt/zimbra directory)

    I think that's what caused it at least, or am I wrong in that being the most likely cause?
    Last edited by kechols; 04-04-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bad 5.0b2 upgrade
    By JoshuaPrismon in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 07:34 PM
  2. Upgrade 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 questions
    By dlochart in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 02:44 AM
  3. Backup directory deleted during upgrade!
    By dlochart in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM
  4. 4.01 to 4.02 upgrade problem (with solution)
    By criley in forum Migration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
  5. M1 -> M2 Upgrade Scripts
    By KevinH in forum Announcements
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •