Thread: Changing E-mail Subject and/or Detail

soxfan is offline Moderator

Default Changing E-mail Subject and/or Detail

We are in the process of migrating from Microsoft Outlook for the Zimbra Web Client. One department of users came up with a list of features and/or functionality that they feel is missing in the Web Client. Included on that list were a) the ability to modify the subject line of an e-mail message; and b) the ability to modify the detail of an email message. Outlook allows you to do both. Although they appear to be using these "features" of Outlook for good reasons, in discussions with the IT department we have questioned whether these practices are legal and/or ethical (maybe these are too harsh of terms, but something just doesn't seem right about being able to do this).

So, my questions are:
    1) Does anybody have any input on the legality, or whatever you want to call it, of these practices? Specific references to either side of the argument would be helpful.

2) Has anyone one else that has migrated users to the Web Client faced similar questions? If so, did you come up with any "work arounds"?

3) Are these things that might be added to a future release of Zimbra? I searched the forums and bugzilla, and didn't come up with much. I found one post in the forums asking about the ability to change the subject line, and the response was to create a RFE in Bugzilla. I didn't find any corresponding request in Bugzilla. Personally I'm not going to create the RFE's because I lean on the side that these "features" should not be allowed. However, I'm just curious if they might be coming.

TIA,
    John

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Bug 5487

This is bug 5487. And, as you can see from comment #2 on that bug, I'm on your side of this issue.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I would have thought that in areas where legislation requires you to keep email that this sort of activity would be a legal minefield? I think this is a feature that should not be included in any email server.

Why are your users doing this? If it's just to 'thread' a set of emails then I thought there was a bugzilla entry to allow users to combine post into a thread. I think they could easily work around this using tags and saved searches, get them to try that first.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks guys; this is the info I was looking for.

I have to say these people aren't using these Outlook "features" in a bad way. They do a lot of e-mail correspondence with our customers concerning orders and issues. Occasionally they will call a customer or a customer will call them about an order/issue. They want the information from the call to be included somewhere in the e-mail thread. So, they go in an add comments to one of the messages. For example: "Customer called 3/28/07 at 9:00 AM; canceled one unit". As far as the subject line, they often add things to change the sort order.

I've suggested that they forward the message to themselves, which allows you to change the subject and add comments. There response was that the Outlook way is "cleaner".

Thanks again for the feedback.
    John

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Maybe an RFE for adding a 'note' (with the ability to search and edit it) to an email that pops-up when they hover over a particular field would do it? I don't know if it's feasible but it might be worth seeing if it can be done, it's probably straying into CRM here.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Maybe an RFE for adding a 'note' (with the ability to search and edit it) to an email that pops-up when they hover over a particular field would do it? I don't know if it's feasible but it might be worth seeing if it can be done, it's probably straying into CRM here.
    Good thought. I agree, kind of veering into the CRM area, but it may be something to consider.

Thanks for your input.

John

Thread Information