Thread: "Away" message with Domain Aliases

itmike is offline Active Member

Default "Away" message with Domain Aliases

I've had little luck searching the forums for this, although it seems like it should be really obvious.

We have our primary email domain set up, call it example.net. We then have several domain aliases set up as well, example1.com, example2.com, etc.

When user (Joe) enables his "Away" message in the Zimbra web client, it replies correctly to emails sent to "joe@example.net."

However, when emails are sent to the other addresses which work for Joe, no "Away" message is sent. Emails sent to joe@example1.com and joe@example2.com are both received by the correct mailbox, but no auto-reply goes out.

How to fix this?

PS: The image verification system on the forum search feature is HORRIBLE for me, being that I'm red/green color deficient. I usually have to refresh the image 3 or 4 times to get something I can read well enough to duplicate. I sure would appreciate it if you could replace it with a less color-dependent system. Perhaps others would care too, given that about 8% of the male population shares my problem.

Default Bug Writeup Found in Bugzilla

OK, it appears I am asking about bug # 14129 already recorded in Bugzilla.

I'm wondering if someone might clarify some of the points in the bug...

From "Additional Comment #1"
    "Real" account aliases may be OK as a temporary workaround (DEFINITELY not a solution!) right now. But how do I set up an account alias using a different domain component of the address? Looking at joe's account in the Web-admin tool, I go to the "aliases" tab. When I want to add a new alias, I get a blank line followed by a drop-down which lets me choose the domain that the alias is a member of. The only domains that show up there are the "primary" or "real" domains--it doesn't include the domain aliases.

So, in Joe's case, how can I go to his acct and create an alias of "joe@example2.com"?

From "Additional Comment #4"
    "If you are such a large install, and you use alias domains, you are going to be such a big source of spam bounces that you might end up on some RBL."

Can someone explain what this means? What's an RBL? What would cause "spam bounces" in this case? All the addresses should accept delivery.

mattvogt is offline Member

itmike,

We have the same issue here. Have you worked anything out?

Currently we alias with a postfix virtual file that gets hit before the relay recipients table. We've merged 3 old domains into one and alias all of the old addresses to the new one. It was much easier to provision the aliases within this file than within Zimbra, assuming that Zimbra would forward back the auto-response.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mattvogt; 06-05-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Default Nothing too clever, no

Hey Matt.

I'm a desktop support tech, not really focused on the server administration, so I'm not super-expert here, but it appears to me that the version of Zimbra we're running now permits aliases to be set to any domain. If I were still getting complaints, I would create individual aliases using the proper domain name for any user who really cared about the problem.

(Also, the severity of our problem has diminished significantly, because it's been almost a year since we changed our mail domain name.)

We use Zimbra network:
    Version 5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL4_64.NETWORK May 22, 2008

Not sure on the free version, but you might check the bug if you haven't already and see if there are updates from the Zimbra folks.

p24t is offline Moderator

I added my vote to bug 14129 - we use an alias domain here as well. I haven't had any complaints yet, fortunately.

An RBL is a blacklist for email servers which are though to be spam sources. Realtime Blackhole List I think is the actual acronym.

Thread Information