Thread: Completely Free OTA Sync/Push

AimanA is offline Active Member

Default Completely Free OTA Sync/Push

So, I just got my ZCS Open Source (test) server running, and I must say that it truly rocks. I've Administered everything from big sendmail/postfix (squirrelmail) systems to multi site Exchange clusters. Zimbra beats them all hands down.

Now, one of the requrements that I was given for this deployment/migration is that our users want a full OTA sync solution for their phones. We have everything from Backberries, to Treo's and WM5 devices (including my own personal Sprint PPC6700 which will be used for testing). None of which are currently being utilized to hit the Exchange server, because we all know how (un)safe it is to stick an Exchange server out on the public internet if it is not behind an ISS/OWA box.

I think the most elegant solution would be to use Funambol's sslIMAP connector to hit the Zimbra box, then push the new email down to the mobile units. Most of the ports on the Zimbra box are firewalled, but I could put in a rule that allows the one Funambol machine to get to it. IMAP would be a bit nicer than POP, since the servers and handsets could sync "read/unread" status as well.

Does anyone see any especially horrible issues with doing it this way?

Klug is offline Moderator

Zimbra's IMAP4 implementation supports the IDLE command.
    If your device's mail softwares handles it, you have push 8)

About the Blackberries, you can use BIS polling (through your phone company BIS servers) but there's the "password in BIS" issue (I read somewhere the password is stored in clear text). We have customers using it here but they're leaving the Blackberries to WM5 devices (to be able to do full sync with Zimbra Mobile).

Too bad you want to have fully free implementation : Network Edition allows the use of Zimbra Mobile.

Zimbra Mobile allows "true push" from WM5 devices (what Microsoft calls "Direct Push").
    With Zimbra Mobile, you can also use the additional NotifyLink software (expensive but working very nicely) for the other devices (including Blackberries).
    Last edited by Klug; 03-17-2007 at 08:15 AM.

I will be going NE for the full scale deployment, sitting atop a SLES 10 server eventually. I am still testing now (OpenSuSE/osZimbra).

I don't believe that WM5 supports IMAP4 IDLE.

Klug is offline Moderator

On WM5, IMAP IDLE is not handled by PocketOutlook (you're right) but by FlexMail 2007 or VGSmail (each one is arround 20 USD).

If you go NE for full deployment, simply add the Zimbra Mobile licence : you won't need IMAP IDLE as you'll be able to do full sync (mails, calendar, contacts) and "Direct Push" with your WM5 devices.

Edit a bit later.
    There's an excellent article on "IMAP and Windows Mobile" here : http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ind...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
    Last edited by Klug; 03-17-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Yes, I already got my WM5 device to Sync with the Zimbra box via IMAP4, but my display wakes up and turns on the backlight every 5 minutes as it syncs with the server (this is a weakness in WM5). This will kill the battery with the quickness.

I will pick and try this other client up that you suggested, but it would have been nice to just use pocket outlook, as it handles my text messaging natively within WM5.

Thread Information