Thread: Two mail Servers two domains one lan

FabulousFabs is offline New Member

Question Two mail Servers two domains one lan

HI everybody,
    I have been looking around and not finding anything that suits my problem I've been so crazed by this for a week now and I'd need some help.
    First of all, let me apologize for my english, even though I am used to speak in English it is not my native language so please forgive the mistakes I might write.

So here's a bit of background to let you understand the environment in which I've been working.
    I am a Network & System Tech in a city's IT service, i haven't been installing ANY of the servers I'll be talking about and none of them can be changed. That being said let's go.

For the schools' network we have a working Zimbra Server installed on an Ubuntu 12.04 Server, everything was fine.
    For the city hall's network we used to have a Lotus Notes, and some people decided to change it and chose "bluemind" which is, well, quite crapy. Anyway, the bluemind server is pretty much working (installed on an Ubuntu Server as well).

My problem is, I can't seem to make those two servers exchange mails. I'v been looking around and trying solutions for over a week now, inserting MX or A (even CNAME) entries in our W2008R2 DNS/AD server. haven't changed anything.
    Those servers are in the same network at our's (172.16.x.x) and can ping eachothers.
    one is for a domain called TOWN.fr the other one is at schoolTOWN.fr, whenever zimbra tries to send a mail to TOWN.fr it is "timed out" on the EXTERNAL IP.
    when I "dig TOWN.fr mx" I get the right answer (mail.TOWN.fr) in "Answer" but in the "additional section" I also get the external IP, which shouldn't appear (should it ?).
    how could I make them exchange mails ?

I am sad to say I cannot change the BlueMind solution for a Zimbra, even though it is very poor compared to ZCS.
    I have read the wiki page about split-DNS but that ain't it :
    If you have a number of servers inside the firewall that need to use internal addresses to communicate to each other, you should consider setting up a full internal DNS server that can be authoritative for the whole domain. This example is not suitable for this task.
    I'm not sure of what you could need to help me, but I am ready to fulfill any demand, screenshots and all.

If anything isn't clear, please ask me about details. I'm in such a mess now I have litterally NO idea where to go now.

thanks a lot for any help that could be provided.
    "In a world without walls or fences, who needs windows and gates ?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFabs View Post
    My problem is, I can't seem to make those two servers exchange mails. I'v been looking around and trying solutions for over a week now, inserting MX or A (even CNAME) entries in our W2008R2 DNS/AD server. haven't changed anything.
    Never usa a CNAME for a mail server, you may lose mail by doing that - always use just the A & MX records.

From your description it appears you have both servers in the same domain (twon.fr), you need a Split Domain for that: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Split_Domain

If you're IP addresses are resolving to your external (Public IP) then you have a DNS configuration problem or the servers are not using the correct DNS servers. Go to the Split DNS wiki article and run all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of the Split DNS article. You need to run those commands on each of the mail servers to verify DNS is working as expected.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hello Bill,
    no they are not on the same domain.
    it is town.fr and schootown.fr (but not a subdomain of town, no "dot" inbetween) so as said, the split dns cannot help me.
    The CNAME was just a test, it is already of don't worry, but thanks for the warning !
    thing is :
    From zimbra server
    if i ping mail.town.fr -> internal ip which is ok
    town.fr -> external ip, which I believe is still ok
    mail.schooltown.fr -> internal IP, still ok
    schootown.fr -> external IP, I do believe that is normal.

But whenever I send an email it gets timed-out on the external IP of the Zimbra server (even though I sent it FROM zimbra TO bluemind).
    Any idea what to check on any of those three servers (Ubuntu Zimbra; Ubuntu BlueMind or W2008 DNS ?)
    thanks a lot for the quickness of your answer.

ps: of course, my domain is not named "town" dot fr, but is in the name of the city I live in. ^^ same goes for schooltown dot fr

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

no they are not on the same domain.
    it is town.fr and schootown.fr (but not a subdomain of town, no "dot" inbetween)
    OK, it looked like there was a space between "school" & town - my mistake.

so as said, the split dns cannot help me.
    What you need to do to verify your DNS is run the commands that I suggested from the Split DNS article - make sure you run the commands on each of the servers. You will need a Split DNS )whether it's a linux DNS server or AD DNS server) if you're behind a NAT router or firewall. Is your AD DNS server on thee same LAN?

But whenever I send an email it gets timed-out on the external IP of the Zimbra server (even though I sent it FROM zimbra TO bluemind).
    That's because you have a DNS problem or you're not using the correct DNS server as I mentioned earlier.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    OK, it looked like there was a space between "school" & town - my mistake.

What you need to do to verify your DNS is run the commands that I suggested from the Split DNS article - make sure you run the commands on each of the servers. You will need a Split DNS )whether it's a linux DNS server or AD DNS server) if you're behind a NAT router or firewall. Is your AD DNS server on thee same LAN?

That's because you have a DNS problem or you're not using the correct DNS server as I mentioned earlier.
    Hi Bill, sorry for late reply. I will test those command (have tested some while searching on my own, but I'm not sure which ones worked or not) alltogether when some time will be free. Unfortunately some other unexpected emergencies got in the way and I will be working on this particular problem (DNS Zimbra) as soon as possible, but might not be quite just now.
    Thanks a lot for answers and I WILL come back to post feedback here.

Thread Information