Thread: Migration from 6.0.5x86 to 8.0.7x64

ptakacs is offline Starter Member

Default Migration from 6.0.5x86 to 8.0.7x64

Greetings,

first of all sry, my english is not the best, but I will try to tell my problem clearly.

We have an old SLES10 2.6.18.2-34 i686 server which is our holy gral, as all of our main services (web,mail,svn,etc.) are running on it since years. The server is old, and we thought that it is time to upgrade the hardware and the software too.
    First we wanted to move Zimbra. We have created a Xen virtualized CentOS6 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 VM and installed the Zimbra 8.0.7_GA_6021.RHEL6_64_20140408123937 release.
    As we wanted to stop the old instance, the new Zimbra instance got the same domain/hostname.
    To move the users (we have 25 users and a few aliases) I have found a nice script here. I have done minimal modification:
    - the script now won't ask for domain as we have only one domain
    - the script use /tmp as the export directory

Loading the users account and passwords into the new Zimbra instance was easy and worked like a charm.
    The aliases were created after the the mailbox migration.

To move the mailboxes I have used the zmmailbox command.
    A short script read a txt file, which contained a mail account name in every row and the zmmailbox command created the tgz files.
    Code:
    zmmailbox -v -z -m $ZMUSER getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" > $EXPFILE
    I have done a few test mailbox migration (4 user accounts) and the users said everything is awsome.

To load the mailboxes I have used the following command (from a script like during the export, now the txt file contained the tgz files)
    Code:
    zmmailbox -v -z -m $ZMUSER postRestURL "//?fmt=tgz&resolve=replace" $EXPFILE
    We have selected a date - last weekend - and using the scipts I have created all the mailbox exports using the zmmailbox command.
    After all the imports were done, some users complained about lost emails. The zmmailbox command had no output. No warnings or erros or any issue. Just created the tgz file which was also imported into the new Zimbra instance like a charm. No issues.

As I read, if I use the resolve parameter set to "ignore" I create a new export on the old Zimbra instance I can import the tgz file and the newer mail entries will remain intact. However I'm very new in administering Zimbra and I'm afraid I will fck up all the mailboxes. Ofc I won't do that before any proper backup, but still...

As there was no archiving or any mail purging before the migration I don't understand how clound some mails missing? Is there any logs I can check or any method to identify the missing emails and move them to the new server without the full export/import?
    Thanks,

Peter.-

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you want a painless and simple method of moving your ZCS users to a new server then I would suggest you take a look at the ZeXtras Migration Tool - it's free and simple to use. The only thing you may need to do is upgrade the ZCS version on your current server to a particular release level, check the ZeXtras web site for detailed system requirements.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ptakacs is offline Starter Member

Thank You! I will checkt that tool. One more question, if you allow.
    I need to patch our Zimbra at least to 6.0.7
    As I see all the Zimbra components and services are installed to /opt/zimbra. All the log, config and database files are there. If I just tar/gzip the folder /opt/zimbra, could that be a safe offline backup? Just in case if I'm doing something wrong with the patch...

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ptakacs View Post
    If I just tar/gzip the folder /opt/zimbra, could that be a safe offline backup?
    Yes, that's all that's required - take a look at backup options in the wiki article(s).

Quote Originally Posted by ptakacs View Post
    Just in case if I'm doing something wrong with the patch...
    Very wise.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information