Thread: Help Setting up MTA

timroberts is offline Beginner Member

Default Help Setting up MTA

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting up my Zimbra installation MTA. I am able to send and receive mail internally, and I'm able to receive mail externally as well. I'm fairly new to email/network administration, so beginner steps are appreciated.

Zimbra currently uses fetchmail to retrieve mail and deliver it. That aspect I was able to figure out and it is working correctly.

According to my ISP (hostpapa) in order to send mail using SSL/TLS encryption, the mail should be delivered to hp117.hostpapa.com:465.
    When I send email to this port, all emails get redirected to the deferred queue and just sit there. The emails sit in the queue with the message:
    "lost connection with hp117.hostpapa.com [70.33.246.190] while receiving the initial server greeting"

In my administration tab I've set up my MTA server, enabled authentication, and tried all settings both with TLS required and not required.

I have done some research on the initial server greeting error, and followed the instructions found here: Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

This has enabled me to send emails externally, however, they do not appear to use any form of encryption (opening the "original message" does not reveal any use of SSL or TLS encryption).

This has been my journey thus far, any assistance in getting my SSL/TLS encryption up would be appreciated. Since I'm new to this whole shebang its entirely possible the encryption is working and I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

btriem is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by timroberts View Post

According to my ISP (hostpapa) in order to send mail using SSL/TLS encryption, the mail should be delivered to hp117.hostpapa.com:465.
    When I send email to this port, all emails get redirected to the deferred queue and just sit there. The emails sit in the queue with the message:
    "lost connection with hp117.hostpapa.com [70.33.246.190] while receiving the initial server greeting"

In my administration tab I've set up my MTA server, enabled authentication, and tried all settings both with TLS required and not required.
    You shouldn't have to use hostpapa.com's MTA's to send mail using a secure SSL/TLS smtp session. This is configured from your zimbra cmdline through zmlocalconfig. With zimbra 8 set your smtp_tls_security_level to "may" (zmlocalconfig -e postfix_smtp_tls_security_level=may). When sending outbound email your server will only initiate a secure connection with the receiving server if the receiving server is configured to receive a secure SSL/TLS connection. Otherwise it will start a standard unsecured smtp session. Same for inbound email. Your server will only open a secure connection with the sending server if the sending server is requesting one.

See:
    (Scroll down to the TLS section)
    https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Outgoin...Authentication
    In the configuration for MTA from your admin gui. That is for authenticating sessions to your zimbra server only. That has nothing to do with server to server SSL/TLS connections.

TLS authentication only forces all SMTP auth to use Transaction Level Security (similar to SSL) to avoid passing passwords in the clear.
    Brad

Thread Information