Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public/Group Folders and Calendars

AkshayOnyx is offline Starter Member

Default Public/Group Folders and Calendars

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but I wasn't able to find this information. I'm wondering if it is possible (as it the case with Exchange) to set up Public Folders that everyone can see and also have specific permissions on those folders such that only specific users can delete the emails contained within. In addition for those folders to have their own email address, obviously an alias that's handled on the server side, but it's a nice convenience.

Public Calendars that can be seen company wide? Scheduling meeting and using others' private calendars to see if they are busy and whatnot is nice, but it would be nice to have a single calendar that is not associated at all with the individual's calendar but a place where everyone within a group can schedule things. Going along the same line, Public Contacts...Basically I'm wondering if there is a Group/Public version of the private things. I have my own mailbox but can there be several public mailboxes, calendars, contact lists, etc.

Thanks,
    Akshay

KevinH is offline Expert Member

We've got GAL so that will do public contacts, the calendar can be setup with a cal that can be shared to all users. It's not antomatic but it can work. We use it here at Zimbra. We don't have public folders yet but it's on the roadmap. Server already is close since we'll use the same basic functionality we used to share calendars.

claud1e is offline Junior Member

When are you planning to implement the Public Folders function? That is a requirement for us to switch to Zimbra.

Thanks in advance,
    Claud1e

jannik.sueltz is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by claud1e
    When are you planning to implement the Public Folders function? That is a requirement for us to switch to Zimbra.
    It's the same to us. So this feature seems to be a big requirement. We all will be thrilled to use this feature at zcs!

romulo is offline Active Member

Me to ...

Is that feature at the Buglist?

Thanks
    Rômulo Giordani Boschetti
    Interop
    RS-Brazil

jonnyRo is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We've got GAL so that will do public contacts, the calendar can be setup with a cal that can be shared to all users. It's not antomatic but it can work. We use it here at Zimbra. We don't have public folders yet but it's on the roadmap. Server already is close since we'll use the same basic functionality we used to share calendars.
    KevinH, So the procedure goes like this, if I am not mistaken, to create a "group" calendar.

From the receptionists account, create a new Named Calendar, like "Company Public", and set the following options
    1. Exclude this calendar when reporting free busy times. YES
    2. Synchronize appointments from remote calendar. NO (what does this option do by the way)

Then share that calendar out to everyone in the company. Can this be done via a distribution list? Or do you have to do it to each employee manually? I think a wiki page for common usage cases like this would be awesome.

When we first tried this out, we just shared the receptionist's normal calendar, but this meant that she was marked out on free busy times for every meeting she put on there. Would adding the separate calendar with the Exclude free busy reporting option prevent this?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

1) yes
    2) yes

On 2) this is what allows you to enter a URL (.ics) from sites like www.icalshare.com and load remote calendars.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

niooi is offline Starter Member

Default Highly demanded feature

Hi Kevin,

When do you think you will implement such feature? It is higly needed and clients do not understand why it is not implemented yet.

Thanks

Yvan

skeeve is offline Intermediate Member

Default Public Folders

I've seen people asking for this since 2005 and Zimbra employees saying it is on the roadmap... so.. its been a year or more.. is there any further updates.

We have deployed Zimbra, but Public Folders has been requested by the powers that be... Shared Calenders, Shared Email, Shared Contact, etc etc... need it to be VERY simple as per Exchange.

Please let me know when it will be available.

...Skeeve

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by skeeve View Post
    I've seen people asking for this since 2005 and Zimbra employees saying it is on the roadmap... so.. its been a year or more.. is there any further updates.

We have deployed Zimbra, but Public Folders has been requested by the powers that be... Shared Calenders, Shared Email, Shared Contact, etc etc... need it to be VERY simple as per Exchange.

Please let me know when it will be available.

...Skeeve
    Be sure to search bugzilla and put in an RFE if there isn't one already. Don't forget to vote for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information