Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPAM and Aliases

jrp7591 is offline Intermediate Member

Default SPAM and Aliases

I have users that receive a ton of SPAM that have aliases associated to their account. The SPAM is addressed to the alias which winds up in the users mailbox that the alias is associated with. SPAM received that is directly addressed to the user is very, very minimal. Unfortunately all the users with aliases are typically managers. In my case, I have an alias of systemmanager@mydomain.com. 99% of all the SPAM I receive, and it's allot, is addressed to that alias address. It's as if any message sent to an alias bypasses any type of SPAM filtering.

Any insight and help resolving this would greatly be appreciated,

Thanks

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jrp7591 View Post
    It's as if any message sent to an alias bypasses any type of SPAM filtering.
    It makes no difference how many aliases an account has, all the mail goes through the anti-spam system. The exception to that depends on how you created those aliases, how did you do it? Do you use a 'catch-all' on this server?

Any insight and help resolving this would greatly be appreciated,
    You should always give details of the exact version of of ZCS that's installed by posting the output of the following command:

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-22-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It makes no difference how many aliases an account has, all the mail goes through the anti-spam system. The exception to that depends on how you created those aliases, how did you do it? Do you use a 'catch-all' on this server?

You should always give details of the exact version of of ZCS that's installed by posting the output of the following command:

Code:
    zmcontrol -v[
    I am not sure how these aliases were created. I inherited this this server and its configuration when I started working there 4 months ago and I am new to Zimbra. As far as a "catch-all" I do not know. It is the first time I have heard that phrase. How could I check if I am using a 'catch-all'?

Here is the output of zmcontrol -v - Release 8.0.6.GA.5922.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 Foss edition

Thanks

Do you have multiple domains on your server? One way to create an alias would be to have an alias for the second (and subsequent) domain, take a look at this article, you need to take a look at those domains and see if they have a catchall address defined.
    Regards

Bill

Do you have multiple domains on your server? One way to create an alias would be to have an alias for the second (and subsequent) domain, take a look at this article, you need to take a look at those domains and see if they have a catchall address defined.

Thanks Bill. I'll take a look and get back. Thanks again.

Jeff

Thanks Bill. I'll take a look and get back. Thanks again.

Jeff
    This is what I show in Zimbra Admin Home>Configure>Domains

Name - @ mydomain.com Type - Local Status - Active - Description -
    Name - @ mail.mydomain.com Type - alias Status - Active Description - domain alias of mydomain.com

You're saying I should or should not have a catchall? How should I configure this setup for SPAM blocking? I apologize for my my ignorance in advance.

Thanks

This is what I show in Zimbra Admin Home>Configure>Domains

Name - @ mydomain.com Type - Local Status - Active - Description -
    Name - @ mail.mydomain.com Type - alias Status - Active Description - domain alias of mydomain.com

You're saying I should or should not have a catchall? How should I configure this setup for SPAM blocking? I apologize for my my ignorance in advance.

Thanks

I have read the link you referrred me to over and over again and the only reason for setting up a alias domain I can see and I quote:

"If you have a domain domain.com and you want the domain example.com to be an alias for it, so that sending mail to user@example.com is the same as sending mail to user@domain.com (delivered to the same mailbox), you can designate example.com as a domain alias when creating the domain."

We have no need to do this that I can think of. What happens if I remove the alias domain and how does any of this tie into the SPAM received addressed to alias user accounts? You mentioned "all the mail goes through the anti-spam system. The exception to that depends on how you created those aliases How should the aliases had been created?

Thanks

We have no need to do this that I can think of. What happens if I remove the alias domain and how does any of this tie into the SPAM received addressed to alias user accounts?
    The problem with the Alias domain configuration I pointed you to is the fact it has a 'catch all' - by definition a 'catch all' is that it will cat all the mail coming into the server (including spam) and that's why you see the majority of the spam received via the alias address. The better way to configure this is to remove the alias domain configurations (each domain should still be configured on the server) then add the alias addresses individually to your accounts - you may need to script that if you have a lot of users.
    Regards

Bill

The problem with the Alias domain configuration I pointed you to is the fact it has a 'catch all' - by definition a 'catch all' is that it will cat all the mail coming into the server (including spam) and that's why you see the majority of the spam received via the alias address. The better way to configure this is to remove the alias domain configurations (each domain should still be configured on the server) then add the alias addresses individually to your accounts - you may need to script that if you have a lot of users.
    So to check if there was a catchall configured I ran this:

zmprov gd mail.mydomain.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress - (mail.mydomain.com being the alias domain that was created)

and all that was returned was this:

# name mail.mydomain.com

So I am under the assumption there is no catchall account. When I first found out that I got the job I went ahead and setup my own Zimbra server under my registered domain name and everything went very smooth. I guess I still don't understand why the previous sys admin would have setup a alias domain? When you say remove the alias domain configurations is there more to it than just removing the catchall from the alias domain? And then you're saying to delete all the aliases and then re-add them to the user via the user account settings rather than creating the alias and associating to the user account?

Thanks

So to check if there was a catchall configured I ran this:

zmprov gd mail.mydomain.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress - (mail.mydomain.com being the alias domain that was created)

and all that was returned was this:

# name mail.mydomain.com

So I am under the assumption there is no catchall account. When I first found out that I got the job I went ahead and setup my own Zimbra server under my registered domain name and everything went very smooth. I guess I still don't understand why the previous sys admin would have setup a alias domain? When you say remove the alias domain configurations is there more to it than just removing the catchall from the alias domain? And then you're saying to delete all the aliases and then re-add them to the user via the user account settings rather than creating the alias and associating to the user account?

Thanks
    Any other ideas? It's crazy. Over the weekend, no SPAM but during the week I can almost set my watch by it. About 10:00am every weekday the SPAM starts rolling in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information