Thread: Archiving Backups

thunder04 is offline Special Member

Default Archiving Backups

Hello,

I am working on putting together a script that will move the backups from /opt/zimbra/backup to another location as well as delete any backup sets that are older than 30 days. This is the first time I've worked with the Network Edition of Zimbra thus the first time working with the backup feature!

What do I need to copy over in order for the backup(s) to be valid? I know that for incremental backups to be valid I must retain the last full backup plus any incrementals in-between. However, in looking in /opt/zimbra/backup I see a bunch of stuff. If I simply copy what's inside the "sessions" folder, will that suffice?

Also, can I have my script execute the backup procedure? I'd like to have my script copy the new backup over to our alternate storage as soon as the process is finished.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

We are running 8.0.2_GA_5569.NETWORK

Thanks!!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by thunder04 View Post
    We are running 8.0.2_GA_5569.NETWORK
    The first thing you must do (and I mean now) is upgrade your server to the latest release of ZCS because of this bug, this means that you could lose your ZCS install without warning and it would be difficult to recover your mail.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The first thing you must do (and I mean now) is upgrade your server to the latest release of ZCS because of this bug, this means that you could lose your ZCS install without warning and it would be difficult to recover your mail.
    Even with mail backups? Does this mean backups are potentially corrupt as well?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Even with mail backups? Does this mean backups are potentially corrupt as well?
    No, it doesn't mean the backups are corrupt, it means you may lose your server at any time and (as I said) it will be difficult to recover your server - do you have a well tested disaster recovery procedure in place? The easiest thing to do is upgrade the server, it will save you the headache of trying to recover from a failure and cause you less downtime.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No, it doesn't mean the backups are corrupt, it means you may lose your server at any time and (as I said) it will be difficult to recover your server - do you have a well tested disaster recovery procedure in place? The easiest thing to do is upgrade the server, it will save you the headache of trying to recover from a failure and cause you less downtime.
    We do not yet have a disaster recovery process for Zimbra. It is something I am working on as I type this reply! I am going to work on doing an upgrade ASAP. Knowing that the backups are good will help when I set up a test server. I am going to work on doing a test upgrade today.

Do the backups incorporate server settings, or are the backups simply user data?

Can I restore backups from 8.0.2 to an 8.0.7 server? Or can the 8.0.2 backups only be restored to 8.0.2 servers?

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

Can I restore backups from 8.0.2 to an 8.0.7 server? Or can the 8.0.2 backups only be restored to 8.0.2 servers?
    You should have no problems restoring mail from older versions (at least within the same major version, not sure if you were trying to restore from a really old version like 6.x to 8.x).
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Quote Originally Posted by chauvetp View Post
    You should have no problems restoring mail from older versions (at least within the same major version, not sure if you were trying to restore from a really old version like 6.x to 8.x).
    Good to know that it should work!

I'm having problems restoring backups from our production 8.0.2 server. I was experiencing the problems when my test server was at 8.0.2 as well as after the upgrade to 8.0.7. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot as I get the error message "EMPTY_RESPONSE" after it chunks away at restoring from backup. For what it's worth, we have 329 accounts on our production server and only 97 are restored to the test server. I have a ticket open with support, but if anyone here has suggestions on how to troubleshoot I am all for it!

Thread Information