Thread: Moving from Outlook to Zimbra Web Client (OSE)

soxfan is offline Moderator

Default Moving from Outlook to Zimbra Web Client (OSE)

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but since it is the most popular forum I'll start here.

We are in the process of migrating our email from a simple Linux-based Postfix/POP3 server to Zimbra (OSE). Pretty much all our users currently use Outlook (2000 mostly and some 2003) as their email client. We have no shared calendars or contacts; everything is local to the user. Our initial plan for the migration was to setup Outlook with Zimbra as an IMAP service for the users, and then slowly try to get as many people as possible over to the Zimbra Web Client. However, we are finding that there a too many little "gotchas" when using Outlook as an IMAP client, and that the users are preferring to make the switch to the ZWC immediately. For the most part, so far so good.

The biggest issue we are seeing so far is that several users have become accustomed to using the 'File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient (as attachment)' option from within say Word and Excel. This option currently uses Outlook, and unless I am missing something, there is no way to make it use ZWC at this point in time. I know there is a feature request to add this to the Toaster, and I have voted for it. But I guess I'm just wondering if others have run into this issue and how they handled it. I know we can just tell the users not to use this function, but getting them to actually listen is easier said than done. Also, users will see this as us taking something away from them, which is not good for overall acceptance of the change.

Beyond this specific issue I'm curious if anyone else has gone through a similar migration. If so, what issues did you encounter, and do you have any other "words of wisdom" that may help ease the pain of migrating?

Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome.

Thanks,
    John

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    However, we are finding that there a too many little "gotchas" when using Outlook as an IMAP client, and that the users are preferring to make the switch to the ZWC immediately.
    Good idea.
    The biggest issue we are seeing so far is that several users have become accustomed to using the 'File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient (as attachment)' option from within say Word and Excel. This option currently uses Outlook, and unless I am missing something, there is no way to make it use ZWC at this point in time.
    The Zimbra toaster may handle the mailto part, but currently we do not handle this functionability.

Also, users will see this as us taking something away from them, which is not good for overall acceptance of the change.
    I can see that. It may be a good idea to show them everything their getting:
    Email anywhere
    themes
    zimlets
    pop aggregation
    Shared docs
    Shared calendaring

Thanks,
    John
    Nice to meet you john.

-john

The Zimbra toaster may handle the mailto part, but currently we do not handle this functionability.
    Yes, we have been installing the toaster for new mail notifications and the "mailto" part. In doing more testing it appears that the Send To --> Mail Recipient is kind of a typical Microsoft only thing. It works if your default email client is Outlook or Outlook Express, but others don't work (I tested with Thunderbird). So, I can't really blame Zimbra for not working with this option, although it would be awesome if the functionality could be added.
    I can see that. It may be a good idea to show them everything their getting:
    Email anywhere
    themes
    zimlets
    pop aggregation
    Shared docs
    Shared calendaring
    All great points. Unfortunately some users tend to focus on the negatives more than the positives, and it's even more unfortunate that these users tend to be the ones that bark the loudest Oh well, we'll get by. Zimbra is a great product and I look forward to continue this migration project and moving forward from there.

russgalleywood is offline Elite Member

Love the toaster, works really well, however we would also like this functionality.

We send a snapshot of our Sales orders through MS Access so would be great if this could go through Zimbra.

Which bug is it to vote for as I can't find it!

Thanks Guys

Which bug is it to vote for as I can't find it!
    Bug number is 12845.

amnz is offline Active Member

Question

We are on the same clue....
    Like Toaster (really good) but need to use the "Send as Mail to..." feature. Is not only a question of not to use this (we can instruct users to save a document and then send it as an attachment in Zimbra web client...). The question is that some Windows apps use this to automatically send mails (i.e.: an accounting app that monthly sends mail to each customer...).

I been reading thes posts and saw something about using Thunderbird (or another app) with IMAP. Anyone tested it?

If we can't find a good solution we cannot migrate to Zimbra (and, at
    last, say goodbye to Exchange/Outlook)

PD. I voted for bug 12845

What I have been experimenting with, but have not put into practice yet, is using Thunderbird, in conjunction with the Web Client to handle the integration with Office and Windows. I've installed a couple of TB add-ons, which allow the program to startup automatically when Windows starts and minimize to the system tray. This way TB is somewhat transparent to the users. What I found in some of the testing is that TB won't automatically startup, like some other programs do, when you do the "Send To --> Mail Recipient" function. Hence the add-on to startup automatically.

For the most part I think this solution will work. TB works pretty well as an IMAP client. Since you can configure where Sent and Deleted Items go (unlike Outlook), you don't have to worry about messages ending up in two places; everything can be stored on the Zimbra server.

Another added benefit to using TB, for some users at least, is that 2.0 has a pretty good new mail notification built in. Personally I like the Toaster, but some users tell me that it doesn't always pop-up the notifications over their working applications.

Having said all this about TB, I still think if the Zimbra Web Client could be seamlessly integrated with Windows, Office, and other apps it would be a huge benefit.

russgalleywood is offline Elite Member

Thanks Guys,

I'll give the TB bit a go but agree with you about the Toaster Soxfan!

Thread Information