Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mail filters not working all of the time..

bburtin is offline Zimbra Employee

Looks like you've hit a bug in the filter UI. If you can come up with a reproducible way to create a filter rule that puts "stop" before fileinto, please file a bug.

htin is offline Intermediate Member

Default matches pattern

Does anyone has success story of creating 'matches pattern' filter?
    None of mine still doesn't work. I can only use with 'contains'
    Anyone has any idea?

Thanks!
    [Working together for better community]

Stergil is offline Senior Member

I am also having inconsistent results with one mail filter and no success with 2 others.

Code:
    # Stergil
    if anyof (header :contains "to" "stergil" )
    {
        fileinto "/Inbox/Stergil";
        stop;
    }
    This filter does not work, the message remains in my Inbox. I've tried variations, using 'matches pattern' with asterisks, etc. I'm basically trying to get anything that comes in to my gmail account filed accordingly.

I have another gmail account that I'm trying to filter inbound messages from as well with the same results.

The one that does work (most of the time) filters for automated bank messages. I have a few dozen of the messages in a folder, and a stray always pops up in the Inbox after a week or two. It's the same automated message that's sent daily. Nothing changes but the body, and the filter only evaluates the subject & from fields.

It should be noted that the two filters that do not work at all are receiving messages from POP accounts from within Zimbra. The bank notices, which are properly filtered most of the time, are received through my normal Zimbra mail address/server.

bburtin is offline Zimbra Employee

The way things currently stand, mail filtering only occurs when a message comes in over LMTP. So if you're retrieving mail from an external POP account, mail filters won't run. The way things are now, data sources (POP, IMAP, etc.) all have a root folder that mail gets delivered to. We use that folder to check for new messages in the leave-on-server case. We could potentially use mail filtering in the case where you don't leave messages on the server. Not sure if this would cause more benefit or confusion. If you think we should support mail filtering for POP accounts, please file an enhancement request in Bugzilla.

As far as filters that use matching instead of contains, you'll need to use wildcards. Here's a blurb from the Sieve spec that describes the behavior.

Code:
       The ":matches" version specifies a wildcard match using the
       characters "*" and "?".  "*" matches zero or more characters, and "?"
       matches a single character.  "?" and "*" may be escaped as "\\?" and
       "\\*" in strings to match against themselves.  The first backslash
       escapes the second backslash; together, they escape the "*".  This is
       awkward, but it is commonplace in several programming languages that
       use globs and regular expressions.
    Several people have been confused by the "matches pattern" terminology. I filed bug 19737 for this issue.

Alright, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bburtin View Post
    The way things currently stand, mail filtering only occurs when a message comes in over LMTP. So if you're retrieving mail from an external POP account, mail filters won't run. The way things are now, data sources (POP, IMAP, etc.) all have a root folder that mail gets delivered to. We use that folder to check for new messages in the leave-on-server case.
    BTW, I should mention that the reason I'm not using that feature is because I then need to manually go to each folder and click Get POP Mail. Your POP client doesn't seem to automatically check/download messages at any interval, nor does it check POP accounts when clicking the main Get Mail button.

It would be a welcome change if POP mail accounts had an interval setting to automatically check for new mail.

Cheers,
    Sterg

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stergil View Post
    BTW, I should mention that the reason I'm not using that feature is because I then need to manually go to each folder and click Get POP Mail. Your POP client doesn't seem to automatically check/download messages at any interval, nor does it check POP accounts when clicking the main Get Mail button.

It would be a welcome change if POP mail accounts had an interval setting to automatically check for new mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    If you can hold out till v5/in 5.0beta3:
    zimbraDataSourcePollingInterval
    Bug 14527 - Periodic POP and IMAP aggregation and frequency and limit controls for same
    For the current method search 'fetchmail' in the forums.

awesome news, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information