Thread: Hide aliases in GAL

Dirk is offline Moderator

Default Hide aliases in GAL

I see in the release notes for 4.5.1 that aliases can now be hidden from the GAL, which is fantastic (we have a number of aliases set up for each user to allow them to recieve mail that may have been sent to them using a common misspelling of their name, clearly that looks messy when those misspellings are offered as a suggestion when typing their address in the to: field)

So, with glee, I log in to the admin console to turn off GAL entries for all/most of the the aliases, but the option is not where I'd expect it to be. Can anyone clarify how to do this?

tseinc is offline Intermediate Member

In the Administration Menu - Select Aliases. Choose the alias you want to hide, click "Edit" On the first page that displays, the General Information - Check "Hide in GAL". Choose "Save". Rinse and Repeat.

Dirk is offline Moderator

That was where I'd think it would be, but that tick box is actually for the main account to be hidden, not for the alias.

However, I've just noticed that the aliases are not showing at all anyway, if I have an account called JohnS@... and an alias for him of john@.... I'm sure that both were showing as suggestions when typing 'joh' in the To: field, but now only the actual account one is showing - I'm sure the aliases showed before.

Has the default behaviour changed or am I just going more mad than normal?

russgalleywood is offline Elite Member

I have the same thing!!

Having changed our main Domain name I didn't want to have to change all the user accounts and groups over to the new domain. I wanted to just give them an alias pointing to the new Domain and set it as default Mail Identity.
    Unfortunately none of these new aliases show up in the GAL and now of course only appear after manually typing in the full address so it appears in my local Address Book.

This is on 4.5.9 and again, I'm sure they used to show up before!

So what's changed Guys?!

soxfan is offline Moderator

I think the bugzilla entries you want to look at are 10456, which is marked as fixed, and 14919, which is assigned. The first changed the default behavior to hide all aliases in the GAL. The second is an outstanding request to have the ability to hide or un-hide aliases on an alias by alias basis (at least that's how I'm reading it).

russgalleywood is offline Elite Member

Thanks Soxfan.

It's just that, now the Aliases are hidden by default, we can not see our new default Mail Identity in the GAL as I mentioned before, so now I guess I'm going to have to rename all the Accounts to use the new Domain prefix. This seems like the only easy way to get them to show up correctly in Outlook anyway. (Wrong section for this comment I know!)

Thanks again

Thread Information