Thread: Zimbra 7.1 to 7.2.6 Posix problem

wedeo is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra 7.1 to 7.2.6 Posix problem

Hi All,

We upgraded Zimbra from 7.1 to 7.2.6 and now Posix is not working anymore, we are running on Ubuntu 10.04. I know from some earlier Threads on the forum that its never officially supported and that it wont be. Fine by us, however our current install is using Posix groups and if i disable the Posix zimlet i'm not able to create new accounts.

When i try i'll get this error:

Invalid request: CreateAccount invalid schema change: [LDAP: error code 65 - object class 'posixAccount' requires attribute 'uidNumber']
    Errorcode: service.INVALID_REQUEST Method: [unknown]
    Details:soap:Sender

Is there any working Posix zimlet for Zimbra 7.2.6, already tried the one in the gallery but that one doesn't work either.
    Or does anybody have a other solution on this one ?

Kind regards,

Wesley

jdp459 is offline Active Member

We are having the same issue. Since we are tiny, adding users doesn't happen often - it has been a few years, actually. In the last week, we are doubling in size and this is kinda embarrassing the the company cannot create a new email account in 5 minutes.

I don't need the posix or samba stuff anymore (haven't used it in years), so I attempted to remove it from LDAP. I don't know the nitty details of openldap. Seems that Zimbra migrated from a config file to a config directory setup since we started using Zimbra in 2008. Not certain when that happened (or even if this is true). Now I just need to find where the posix and samba LDAP entries are stored inside the LDAP config - removing them form the normal LDAP config files and running slapindex hasn't solve the issue.

If I can't figure out how to remove those 5+ entries soon, appears that doing a fresh install and migrating everything over (mail, calendar, addresses, tasks, notes, wiki, .... ) to the new install is the only method.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

The bits to add posix/samba are the zimbra extra objectClasses bits you defined when initially setting up. You can remove those two bits from your globalconfig, and it will stop attempting to add them.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    The bits to add posix/samba are the zimbra extra objectClasses bits you defined when initially setting up. You can remove those two bits from your globalconfig, and it will stop attempting to add them.
    I must be stupid. I'm in the Zimbra admin interface - where I've already removed the samba and posix extensions. I don't see any objectClasses anything on any of the tabs.
    I've already removed the posix and samba settings using zmprov.
    Code:
    zmprov mcf -zimbraAcccountExtraObjectClass posixAccount
    zmprov mcf -zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass sambaSamAccount
    The way that I added these facilities was through LDAP config files - which don't seem to be used anymore - that is - I've commented the entries from the slapd.conf - lines removed:
    Code:
    #include         "/opt/zimbra/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema"
    #include         "/opt/zimbra/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema"
    # index uidNumber             eq
    # index gidNumber             eq
    # index memberUID             eq
    #
    # index sambaSID              eq
    # index sambaPrimaryGroupSID  eq
    # index sambaDomainName       eq
    To me, it appears that openldap is completely ignoring this file now and using a cn=config/ directory. Is it safe to simply remove the samba and nis schema files from here?
    zimbra@mail:~/data/ldap/config/cn=config/cn=schema/

Sorry for being so dense. What command should I be running, please. I was following these instructions. Uninstall Instructions for Unix and Windows Account Management in Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thanks again for your help.

If you remove the schema, and you still have accounts you previously created using those objectclasses, you will corrupt your database.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Exactly my fear. Is there a command to remove just those OCs? I don't know ldap. None of those settings are used for any of the userids.
    I'm still confused why adding a new account that doesn't use samba or posix extensions is failing.

Ran these:

Code:
    zimbra@mail:/tmp$ zmprov mcf -zimbraAcccountExtraObjectClass posixAccount      
    zimbra@mail:/tmp$ zmprov gcf zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass
    zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass: amavisAccount
    zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass: posixAccount
    The issue could be that posixAccount can't be removed. How can that be removed?
    Last edited by jdp459; 04-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Well, that's definitely an issue.... You can try running ldapdelete instead of zmprov and see if you can get an error out.

You cannot remove the schema until that is done AND you go through and fix up all your users to no longer use those objectClasses and their related attributes (that'll be a manual process)
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Thanks - I believe all the users have empty settings for all those settings. I'll check again - used a slightly modified script from the
    Uninstall Instructions linked above. The options for zmprov gaa have changed since that wiki article was created.

zmprov is awefully slow - went to check it for the ldapdelete command - java. That explains much. Expected to see a perl-wrapper. OTOH, knowing that the CLI version and server GUI version use exactly the same code is good.
    Any chance for an ldapdelete command to remove zimbraAcccountExtraObjectClass posixAccount? Every time I see an example ldap-anything command there are 5 new/different options than another version. Please.
    Last edited by jdp459; 04-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.

as far as I know, ldapdelete and ldapmodify haven't really changed much in the last decade or so.

Generally (this is off the top of my head), on your ldap master, as the zimbra user:

Code:
    ldapmodify -x -H ldapi:/// -D cn=config -w `zmlocalconfig -s -m nokey ldap_root_password`
    dn: cn=config,cn=zimbra
    changetype: modify
    delete: zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass
    You then need to hit enter twice for it to execute.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Thanks - I've avoided knowing **anything** about LDAP commands. Zimbra hides that 99.9999% of the time.
    This gives me something to start.

Found 1 userid with samba settings still. It was a "locked' account. Sorta neat that it can't be modified when locked. And that removing an attribute isn't allowed if any user makes use of it. Switched it into maintenance mode and working on the zmprov command to clear those settings now.

That account doesn't have any posix settings, but it did have latent samba settings that couldn't be removed. Deleted the account - it was dormant. Tried again to remove the
    $ zmprov mcf -zimbraAcccountExtraObjectClass posixAccount
    again - didn't work, but I had to try.

I'll try the ldapmodify command and expect an error.

Code:
    $ ldapmodify -x -H ldapi:/// -D cn=config -w `zmlocalconfig -s -m nokey ldap_root_password`

dn: cn=config,cn=zimbra
    changetype: modify
    delete: zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass

modifying entry "cn=config,cn=zimbra"
    Waiting about a minute, then used cntl-d to exit.
    Code:
    $ zmprov gcf zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass
    No joy. At this point, would an slapcat to dump the DB, remove all samba/posix parts of the ldif file, then slapadd be easier?

UPDATE -
    Code:
    zimbra@mail:~/conf$ zmprov gcf zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass
    zimbra@mail:~/conf$ zmprov mcf -zimbraAcccountExtraObjectClass posixAccount   
    zimbra@mail:~/conf$ zmprov gcf zimbraAccountExtraObjectClass
    So it is gone! Don't know what is different this time from the other 20 attempts. Now to see if adding accounts is allowed. Yep - that works now.

Thanks Quanah for all your help. I'll try to mark this and the other thread as solved.
    Last edited by jdp459; 04-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Thread Information