Thread: Inherited a Zimbra 4.0.1, move to new server and upgrade

crash is offline Junior Member

Default Inherited a Zimbra 4.0.1, move to new server and upgrade

Hi,

I inherited a Zimbra server version 4.0.1_GA_324 32 bit on Centos 4. I need to migrate it to a new machine and upgrade to a current version.

As it stands it looks as though I need to migrate first to Centos 5.5 machine, then upgrade the version of Zimbra as far as I can, then install another Centos 6.x and migrate a second time then run the additional upgrades.

Is this correct? is there a more direct way to get to the current version from that far back? Am I doomed to a lost weekend of mail server migration?

Thanks for any help!!!

pup_seba is online now Loyal Member

Hi,

Hopefully you have a virtual enviroment where you are able to take snapshots of everything, because sometimes, simple upgrades can go wrong (specially with LDAPs and MySQLs).

First thing I would try is Zimbra migration wizard which you'll find under 8.0.6 Zimbra admin console > Tools & Migration > Account Migration > And then select Zimbra Collaboration Server as the source.

For the kind of migration you described, it usually needs to:

- In place migration (upgrade) to the latest Zimbra version you OS supports
    - Create a new VM with a OS version that supports both your CURRENT OS hosting your current Zimbra and also a newer version of zimbra.
    - Deploy Zimbra to that new VM with the newer OS and choose the migration method you want (I would suggest rsync...but backup/restore is also good)
    - Again, upgrade Zimbra to the latest version possible according to this new OS
    - Repeat the process until you end up with CentOS 6.5 and Zimbra 8.0.6 in the same server.

Sadly, you won't be able to "upgrade" to major versions of your OS (you can't jump from CentOS 5.x to CentOS 6.x).

Regards,
    Sebas

Thread Information