Thread: .../ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb exlposive growth (74GiB!) from upgrade 8.0.0 ==> 8.0.6

cjm51213 is offline Active Member

Default .../ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb exlposive growth (74GiB!) from upgrade 8.0.0 ==> 8.0.6

Hi Folks,

On 2014.02.27 I upgraded from 8.0.0 to 8.0.6 (Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.RHEL6_64_20131203103705 RHEL6_64 FOSS edition.) Mail traffic, for the most part is unchanged, and that is good news. I have noticed that before the upgrade, /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb was 31M and after the upgrade, it is 74GIG!!! Now, that can't be right...

As a diagnostic, I preserved the existing data.mdb and lock.mdb with mv and copied my backup in place. When I fired up zimbra, "zmcontrol start", I discovered that my copied LDAP database was now 74GIG, so this may very well be an upgrade issue. The difference is that my heavy-handed copy did not succeed. meaning slapd did not successfully start, and I have removed the offending 8.0.0 database, restored the 8.0.6 database and, with the exception of the enormous size data.mdb, everything is working.

I see no evident changes between 8.0.0 and 8.0.6 when I investigate https://cahoots.tryx.org:7071/ ... It appears that the configuration is unchanged in the last few days, meaning since 8.0.0 when the configuration looked to be exactly the way I wanted it to be.

So, ...

Is there an LDAP analysis/repair tool? If there is but it doesn't discover and/or repair any defects, How can I migrate my version 8.0.0 LDAP database from my backup to 8.0.6?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cjm51213 View Post
    I have noticed that before the upgrade, /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/mdb/db/data.mdb was 31M and after the upgrade, it is 74GIG!!! Now, that can't be right...
    Yes it can, it's a sparse file and this is in the Release Notes and covered in several forum threads (and a wiki article) - search the forums and have a read of those threads.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

cjm51213 is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes it can, it's a sparse file and this is in the Release Notes and covered in several forum threads - search the forums and have a read of those threads.
    Yes. Thanks very much. After I calmed down, and with the benefit of organizing my thinking by writing a post here, that is precisely what I did, and I found that this is a setting which can be changed. Not at all clear why it defaults to such a huge value, but I assume there is a reason.

For the benefit of those that follow me: ldap database went from 97meg to 86gig

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Thread Information