Thread: Contact Search Changes in 4.5GA

wdimmit is offline Senior Member

Post Contact Search Changes in 4.5GA

I recently upgraded from 4.0.5 to 4.5GA. I have a shared contact folder with specific keywords in the notes section. In 4.0.5 and prior, I could open a new email, click on the "To:" button (to bring up the basic contact search) and type one of these keywords and all contacts containing the keyword would be returned. As of 4.5, this no longer works - the dialog only seems to be searching across the contact's name fields.

Is there any way to correct / change this behavior?

Thanks,
    Will

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I would have thought that a search would only be on the Recipients Name as that's what you're looking for. Have you checked bugzilla to see if there's anything that matches your required behaviour? If not you could file an enhancement request fro searching on alternate field(s).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Searching only on name makes sense, but it is not what Zimbra has historically done. I've been unable to locate the change in Bugzilla that relates to this behavior, so I'm just trying to find out exactly what was done.

--Will

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I understand what you're saying but I've never seen that behaviour (I must admit I've never tried it either), I also had a look though bugzilla but couldn't see anything. Really, the easiest thing to do would be an RFE in bugzilla and explain what did happen and what happens now and, of course, why it would be good for you to have it back.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

tim brennan is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by wdimmit View Post
    Searching only on name makes sense, but it is not what Zimbra has historically done. I've been unable to locate the change in Bugzilla that relates to this behavior, so I'm just trying to find out exactly what was done.

--Will
    There was indeed a change in 4.5 about this. The contact search box now uses "contact:" as the default search operator, instead of "content:" -- the contact: operator searches only across the name and email fields, and it always searches for substrings (implicit wildcard).

So, if you type "wdim", the server will search for everything starting with wdim, and return things like "wdimmit", etc.

This was done because it seemed like the thing that most people wanted most of the time: people really wanted partial strings to match, especially in cases where they had a contact with a difficult to spell name or such. Substring matching the entire contact tended (in our testing) to return too many results, and had some negative performance issues. Another advantage of the change is that it makes the contact search behavior more in line with the GAL search (we're trying to make those two "modes" work similarly so it is less confusing to people).

You can get the old behavior by manually specifying the "content:" operator -- so enter a search string like "content:something" (w/o the quotes) and it will look for exactly the word "something" anywhere in the contact exactly like it used to.

I don't know why this didn't get release noted -- sorry. There is a bugzilla bug about it, I'll try to find it and post it here.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Is there any way to either change the default context, or prefill the box with "content:"?

-Will

Default Some bugs:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14162
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12592
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11831

As you can see, there's been a lot of discussion and debate on this one. I think what we've got in 4.5 is pretty close, although maybe we should better expose the 'content:' operator (a checkbox that says "also search in contact notes" maybe?)

Is there any way to either change the default context, or prefill the box with "content:"?

-Will
    Not right now

An option in the COS would be perfect...should I file an independent RFE for that (or for your suggestion), or would it relate to one of those bugs?

--Will

An option in the COS would be perfect...should I file an independent RFE for that (or for your suggestion), or would it relate to one of those bugs?

--Will
    File a new RFE for it, please.

Thread Information