Thread: Paralyzing Performance Issues - High CPU/ memory usage

nitmotwani is offline Junior Member

Default Paralyzing Performance Issues - High CPU/ memory usage

First things first:
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU10.64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition

Now I know I'm running Zimbra on a less than optimal setup with only 2GB Ram but my setup was working perfectly fine until a few days ago. The web client has been a little slow throughout but over the past couple days it just doesn't open at all. It just keeps loading forever. Yesterday there was the additional issue where mailboxd would keep stopping intermittently. I checked all logs including mailbox.log, zimbra.log etc. but I didn't find any failures or exceptions. The mailboxd issue doesn't exist today but I'm still left with an usable server as the server is completely unresponsive

The main problem seems to be the CPU utilization which is being consumed totally by a process named zimbravm-cache. Can anyone tell me what this process is and why it's so CPU hungry? Also is it possible that my server is experiencing these issues due to a few new mailboxes that I added recently?

Please find the output from top below:

top - 11:59:57 up 282 days, 11:54, 1 user, load average: 8.13, 8.35, 8.45
    Tasks: 91 total, 1 running, 90 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.1%sy, 85.7%ni, 6.2%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 7.8%st
    Mem: 2097152k total, 1974012k used, 123140k free, 0k buffers
    Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 120560k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    10516 zimbra 20 0 118m 4308 760 S 359 0.2 68003:22 zimbravm-cache
    32222 zimbra 20 0 1208m 451m 15m S 1 22.0 0:53.19 java
    27238 zimbra 20 0 38304 11m 1440 S 0 0.5 0:00.60 perl
    1 root 20 0 23320 416 244 S 0 0.0 0:32.78 init
    2 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd/9013
    3 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 khelper/9013

Thanks for your response in advance

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nitmotwani View Post
    First things first:
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU10.64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition
    No, the first thing you must do is upgrade your current version of ZCS as a matter of urgency: Urgency on Security Fixes for Bug 80338 and Bug 84547

Now I know I'm running Zimbra on a less than optimal setup with only 2GB Ram but my setup was working perfectly fine until a few days ago.
    You should upgrade the RAM on this server to at least the minimum requirement specified in the Product Documentation, you will have continuing problems with that amount of RAM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the response Bill. According to my understanding 2GB Ram is considered acceptable according to the system requirements doc here:
    https://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/8.0.0...ml&single=true.

We've already planned a server upgrade with more juice. As for the upgrade, I'd like to take a full backup before hand and that's a slightly time intensive task.

I need a fix to this solution asap, however, since it's impacting our users right this moment. Got any pain killers for me here?

Thanks for the response Bill. According to my understanding 2GB Ram is considered acceptable according to the system requirements doc here:
    https://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/8.0.0...ml&single=true.
    You'r looking at an old document, the current Product Documentation lists the requirements for the ZCS 8.x versions and you'll always find the current documentation on the page I've given you.

I need a fix to this solution asap, however, since it's impacting our users right this moment. Got any pain killers for me here?
    Is this actually running in a VM? List the status of the Zimbra services with this command:

Code:
    zmcontrol status
    Regards

Bill

Sorry, I forgot to add this to my last post. I'd also suggest you take a look at this wiki page https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Investi...curing_Systems (and various forum threads on the topic) and see if you've already been hit by the problems mentioned in my first reply to you - in my opinion that's the most likely problem as the process you list as consuming the CPU cycles isn't a Zimbra process.
    Regards

Bill

Actually I'm pretty sure the problem is related to system requirements and the recent mailboxes that I added. The server did speed up when I deleted a few mailboxes to the extent that the web client did load up albeit fairly slowly.

I tried running through the doc you mentioned. Didn't detect any vulnerabilities so that confirms my suspicions regarding the systems requirements. I guess migrating to a bigger and better box is the only solution here.

Thanks for the help again

Actually I'm pretty sure the problem is related to system requirements and the recent mailboxes that I added. The server did speed up when I deleted a few mailboxes to the extent that the web client did load up albeit fairly slowly.
    That's one part of the problem.

I tried running through the doc you mentioned. Didn't detect any vulnerabilities so that confirms my suspicions regarding the systems requirements. I guess migrating to a bigger and better box is the only solution here.
    I'm pretty certain that you've been infected by the 'miner' exploit and it just happens to have a different name than the exploit in the wiki article, as I mention earlier that process has nothing to do with Zimbra. Did you check for any of the additional Zimlets on your server and have you read through the whole document?
    Last edited by phoenix; 07-24-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Regards

Bill

I manually killed that process without any negative repercussions and the process thankfully stays dead. ATM, the CPU usage is fairly normal but my guess is that's because it's past working hours here and no one is accessing the server.

I gotta say I'm still a newb and I'm not entirely sure if I'm running through the document correctly. I'm listing out below how I went about the process.

1. Zimlets recently installed (found by running find /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed -mtime -35 -o -ctime -35)
    /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed
    /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed/com_zimbra_dnd
    /opt/zimbra/zimlets-deployed/com_zimbra_dnd/dnd.jsp

2. JSP identified as dnd.jsp
    3. Attempted undeploy of zimlet (zmzimletctl undeploy com_zimbra_dnd) causes exception in mailbox.log:
    ExceptionId:qtp711772275-1047:https://xxx.xx.xxx.xx:7071/service/a...e50a21b51ccf1d
    Code:account.NO_SUCH_ZIMLET
    Not sure, how to proceed here. How can I undeploy this zimlet?

4. find /opt/zimbra -iname \*.jsp -exec grep -i getRuntime {} \; - returns nothing at all
    5. find /var/tmp /tmp -iname miner\* - returns nothing at all
    6. Removed all files from /tmp and /var/tmp folder
    7. Running source ~/bin/zmshutil; zmsetvars; ldapsearch -x -LLL -b "" -H ldap://xxx.xxx.com :389 -D "$zimbra_ldap_userdn" -w "$zimbra_ldap_password" '(zimbraIsAdminAccount=TRUE)' dn | grep cn=admin

Returned:
    dn: cn=admins,cn=zimbra
    dn: uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra
    dn: uid=zmreplica,cn=admins,cn=zimbra

Are any of these rogue admin accounts?

8. grep -B 3 PARSE_ERROR /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log | egrep '/service/soap:|/service/admin/soap:' - returned nothing at all

Would appreciate a bit of guidance to see if I'm going about this the right way

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

I would also note that 8.0.2 suffers from spontaneous database corruption, you should upgrade from it ASAP.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thread Information