Thread: Promoting a Replica Server to Master. Invalid Credentials

tbovingdon is offline Special Member

Default Promoting a Replica Server to Master. Invalid Credentials

So following King0770-Notes-MovingUsers - Zimbra :: Wiki to migrate from a RHEL5 32bit zcs 7.2.5 NE install to Ubuntu 10 64bit zcs 7.2.5NE we've successfully migrated all accounts, using proxy we had next to no down time. Went to promote replica by following:Promoting Replica to LDAP Master - Zimbra :: Wiki we get invalid credentials ldap error 49. when running ldapmodify -x -H ldapi:/// -D "cn=config" -w "ldap root password"

we confirmed zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password matches old server and new.
    we confirmed ldapmodify -x -H ldapi:/// -D "cn=config" -w "ldap root password" runs fine onthe old server
    we confirmed ldapmodify -x -H ldapi:/// -D "cn=config" -w "ldap root password" runs fine on our test environment replica machine

clearly replication is working as all accounts are on both servers and everything is working fine on the replica.
    Certificates match (was a wild card) on both servers.

no obvious errors that i can find in /var/log/zimbra.log

tried to see if /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapreplicatool -t off based on this wiki Turning off starttls for replication - Zimbra :: Wiki (can't find the post that referenced it) but the command wouldn't run on either server
    Tried Resetting LDAP and MySQL Passwords - Zimbra :: Wiki (It says only to zcs 5.. but the command and its values still seems the same) the zmldappasswd -r newrootpass (same as zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password) seems to run ok, but still no joy on the ldapmodify command.

We've opened a ticket with support but no response as of yet.. I am posting to see if anyone has any further suggestions... I have a feeling its something like the replica ldap password hash doesn't match "zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password" when trying the direct ldapmodify command or something like that.... but i defer to the experts!

So. Seeing as zimbra support response was less than responsive on this issue I ended up trying something.

Looking at the config.#### file that is saved during install, i compared tried the password for one of the non replicated services (eg nxginx) in the ldap command.. BINGO it worked. I then used this post:ShanxT-LDAP-Auth-Failed - Zimbra :: Wiki following Changing ldap directly section, managed to change the password that zmldappasswd -r newrootpass would not do.

1. Generate the password hash using 'slappasswd':
    Code:
    NEWPASS='/opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slappasswd -v -s 'Very_secure_pass_591' -h {SSHA}`
    2. BASE64 encode this password hash:

Code:
    NEWPASSB64=`echo -n "$NEWPASS" | openssl enc -base64`
    3. As the zimbra user, stop ldap:
    Code:
    ldap stop
    4. Replace this new password in the file ~/data/ldap/config/cn=config/olcDatabase={0}config.ldif:

Code:
    cp '~/data/ldap/config/cn=config/olcDatabase={0}config.ldif' /tmp/
    sed -i "s/olcRootPW.*/olcRootPW:: $NEWPASSB64" '~/data/ldap/config/cn=config/olcDatabase={0}config.ldif'
    The above command takes a backup of 'olcDatabase={0}config.ldif', and the places the new password in the file. If the command fails for whatever reason, just do the steps manually. Take a backup, and replace the existing value of 'olcRootPW:: ' in the 'olcDatabase={0}config.ldif' file with the value of $NEWPASS64.

5. Start ldap:

Code:
    ldap start
    6. To test, run:
    Code:
    ldapwhoami -x -h `zmhostname` -D "cn=config" -w 'ldap_root_password_value'
    7. Then update localconfig.xml as well

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

or you could have just used the zmldappasswd command to update the root password.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    or you could have just used the zmldappasswd command to update the root password.
    Man Your as bad as support. READ my post

Code:
    Tried Resetting LDAP and MySQL Passwords - Zimbra :: Wiki (It says only to zcs 5.. but the command and its values still seems the same) the zmldappasswd -r newrootpass (same as zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password) seems to run ok, but still no joy on the

hm.. This implies that the value in localconfig is not the value that was actually used when the replica was created. That'd be an odd situation to be in. It would generally imply someone ran zmlocalconfig -e ldap_root_password and changed it to some new value, rather than correctly using zmldappasswd -r to update the value.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Not gonner lie.. that IS very likely what happened. :S Good news is its fixed and happy you can mark as solved.

Cool. Yeah, recovering from that situation you pretty much have to hand modify cn=config, which is ugly. Glad you got it working.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Thread Information