Thread: Upgrade paths

eburton is offline Member

Default Upgrade paths

I recently got tasked with upgrading a very out of date server. It is currently running Release 6.0.10_GA_2692.DEBIAN5 DEBIANUNKNOWN FOSS edition. The intention is to get to CentOS 6 and 8.0.5. I have read a lot of the release notes and the various instructions regarding things like 32-64 bit. My main question is:

Can you upgrade 5.0.21 all the way to 7.1.2 or 7.2.6 in one fell swoop or does it need to be done somewhat incrementally. eg 5.0.21 to 6.0.16(as suggested by release notes) and then to the 7.x.x series. The release notes sort of imply the former case but they also stop mentioning 5.x.x as of, I believe, 7.2.0.

I wasn't sure if this was done because it's not an option or for the sake of brevity.

I realize this is the FOSS edition and no support is implied, guaranteed, available, etc. Any clarification will be appreciated.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eburton View Post
    The intention is to get to CentOS 6 and 8.0.5.
    That would be ZCS 8.0.6 (the current version), I guess?

Can you upgrade 5.0.21
    What does this version have to do with your plans, you mentioned ZCS 6.0.10 in the first sentence.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That would be ZCS 8.0.6 (the current version), I guess?

What does this version have to do with your plans, you mentioned ZCS 6.0.10 in the first sentence.
    Oh boy. Things just got muddier I guess.

6.0.10_GA_2692.DEBIAN5 DEBIANUNKNOWN FOSS edition is the output from zmcontrol but if I go to help in the admin console it tells me Version 5.0.21_GA_3150.DEBIAN4.0.FOSS Dec 11, 2009 What a mess they've made.

I am told by several people that we are in fact on 5.0.21, so my question would pertain to that and upgrading to 7.2.6 and whether or not that has to be done in any kind of increment.

I apologize, I just recently had to wade into this.

Oh boy. Things just got muddier I guess.
    Quite likely. Do you, by any remote chance, have the original install file on the server and if you do what's the version of it? I also assume from your earlier comments this is a 32bit server? Just for confirmation, is it really running on Debian and if so, which release?

I am told by several people that we are in fact on 5.0.21, so my question would pertain to that and upgrading to 7.2.6 and whether or not that has to be done in any kind of increment.
    There may be an easier method than going through the steps to upgrade to the most recent version but I'll get to that later.

I apologize, I just recently had to wade into this.
    No need to apologise.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Quite likely. Do you, by any remote chance, have the original install file on the server and if you do what's the version of it? I also assume from your earlier comments this is a 32bit server? Just for confirmation, is it really running on Debian and if so, which release?

There may be an easier method than going through the steps to upgrade to the most recent version but I'll get to that later.

No need to apologise.
    I just looked through the server and what I found was zcs-5.0.21_GA_3150.DEBIAN4.0.20091211170204.tgz I believe there was a failed upgrade attempt quite a while back.

This is definitely running 32 bit Debian. It is 5.0.7 according to /etc/debian_version.

I just looked through the server and what I found was zcs-5.0.21_GA_3150.DEBIAN4.0.20091211170204.tgz I believe there was a failed upgrade attempt quite a while back.
    OK, that might explain the mismatched version numbers. Does anyone remember what happened during this failed upgrade and if a backup of ZCS was taken or restored or was it just fixed (again, I'm assuming it might have had problems starting after the failure) and left as-is? How many user accounts are on this server, is it a single domain or multiple? How much mail (roughly) is on this server, do you have any idea? Do you know if any modifications have been made to ZCS (other than modifications through the Admin UI)? Are you on a restricted timescale to get this server migrated or are there periods that you can take it off-line for backups/upgrades etc.? Just for safety I'd advise against updating Debian at this point just in case you have problems.

Ihis is definitely running 32 bit Debian. It is 5.0.7 according to /etc/debian_version.
    That's a good start. Is this version of Debian up-to-date? The first thing I'm going to suggest is that you take a backup of your ZCS version, I assume this is also on bare metal not a VM? Take a look at the backup procedures in the wiki (there's also some in the forums) and see which one you're most comfortable with and run that on your current server. As with all backups, move it from your current server to somewhere safely off that server.
    Regards

Bill

There was no documentation taken during the attempt so I'm not sure what failed, as far as i can find out it was "restored". There are 112 accounts, single server, single domain, bare metal. The /opt/zimbra/store folder itself is 45GB. I believe ZCS was left stock as the only feature really used is mail. Downtime is allowed outside our normal business hours of 8am - 5pm with advance warning. It looks like no updates have been installed on Debian since Wed, Jan 19 2011 11:37:48 ....wow.

Thanks for the info and your help. I'll be back as soon as a backup is done/possible.

There was no documentation taken during the attempt so I'm not sure what failed, as far as i can find out it was "restored". There are 112 accounts, single server, single domain, bare metal. The /opt/zimbra/store folder itself is 45GB. I believe ZCS was left stock as the only feature really used is mail. Downtime is allowed outside our normal business hours of 8am - 5pm with advance warning. It looks like no updates have been installed on Debian since Wed, Jan 19 2011 11:37:48 ....wow.

Thanks for the info and your help. I'll be back as soon as a backup is done/possible.
    I'll be backing everything up tonight. I'm going to tar up /opt/zimbra as well as backing up the ldap data. I was able to confirm via the install log that the last thing installed was 5.0.21. The docs for the open source edition actually refer me to Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki since we will be moving from debian x86 to CentOS x64.

1.) Create a disaster recovery option by imaging the entire HDD to another disk. This can be used to either re-image the server HDD or can be booted from itself. This can be done using dd_rescue via a bootable flash drive and cloning to an external HDD.

2.) Migrate the existing configuration from the production mail server to the mailtest virtual machine per the instructions at: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki NOTE: Although this is labelled for the Network Edition it is linked to by the documentation for the Open Source Edition. Our current ZCS version (5.0.21) should run on CentOS 5.x

3.) Upgrade the ZCS version on the virtual machine to 7.2.6(per the instructions in the release notes) as that can run on CentOS 5.x or 6.x 7.2.6 is the last version that can run on CentOS 5.x and makes for a good bridge.

4.) Install CentOS 6.x on the production server, migrate the ZCS config per the instructions at: Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
    , and make sure the OS and ZCS(update to 8.0.6 per release notes) are fully updated. This is due to the fact that CentOS advises you to do a fresh install when moving between major releases.

The hopping back and forth is necessary because we want to continue using the current production server. If the process fails we can re-image the production server from the disaster drive to get back to a working config. When all is said and done we should be back on the production server but all up to date.

This is the tentative plan. What do you think?

Success!

1.) I followed the migration guide at Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki to test the move to 64-bit on a CentOS 5 virtual machine.

2.)Additionally I had to redo the java certs before things would work as well as removing the logger db data then running zmloggerinit.

3.) From this VM I upgraded to 7.2.6 as it was the first version that would run on my target OS of CentOS 6.5 During this process my ldap.bak and localconfig.xml files got clobbered by something. I restored the ldap backup, chmodded it to 440 and copied a backup of localconfig.xml over. Then the upgrade went through.

4.) Moving my now 64-bit 7.2.6 install to the new server we acquired was pretty much trivial. I had run the install with the -s flag previously so i just ran the installer again.

5.) The upgrade to 8.0.6 went smoothly. The last thing I had to do was fix the permissions on files in the /opt/zimbra/.ssh directory.

A couple other minor things popped up that I took notes on. I possibly took a more circuitous route than was necessary, but everything seems to be running very well at this point. I also wanted to thank you for helping me get pointed in the right direction and mark this thread as solved.
    Last edited by eburton; 02-12-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Thread Information