Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get zimbra to handle local system mail

fisch09 is offline Special Member

Default how to get zimbra to handle local system mail

Hi guys,

I am just wondering if I miss the point, but how can I configure my system (ubuntu 6.06 TLS) to use zimbra for local email? For example system cron jobs reporting to root? I already set aliases (therefor I had to install postfix and disable it) for root = admin@domain.com, domain.com handled by zimbra. but this does not the trick.

Although the zimbra cron jobs does not email to a zimbra admin account and after each update I have to fix this manual.

Any suggestions how to get this smooth?

Cheers
    Andre

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't need to install postfix at all. The mail for cron jobs is sent to root@FQDN - so it would be something like: root@mail.server.com You only need to add that alias to an account and you'll see the mail in your inbox.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You don't need to install postfix at all. The mail for cron jobs is sent to root@FQDN - so it would be something like: root@mail.server.com You only need to add that alias to an account and you'll see the mail in your inbox.
    /etc/aliases or /opt/zimbra/postfix-version/conf/aliases ?

I tried to use /etc/aliases and to get /usr/bin/newaliases I had to install postfix

Cheers
    Andre

No, you add the alias to the Zimbra user account via the admin ui.
    Regards

Bill

No, you add the alias to the Zimbra user account via the admin ui.
    but this does only works for acoount@fqdn and not everyone is doing this

zimbra-cron-job:
    "10 1 * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdailyreport | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail root"

there is a "root" without FQDN and I have to change it after each update manual.

Cheers
    Andre

Dirk is offline Moderator

I also change that entry every time there's an upgrade, it may be helpful if it were set to root@domain by the installer rather than root@fqdn, this would solve it for most people perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by fisch09 View Post
    there is a "root" without FQDN and I have to change it after each update manual.
    No, you don't

I have the same type of set-up with system mail going to root@fqdn and my domain is @xyz.com - I have two domains on my server as fqdn & xyz.com and I just add the alias for root@fqdn & root@xyz.com to my normal account. Voila! I receive system notifications to my mail account that are destined for root.

If you didn't want to receive mail to root@fqdn then you should have changed the domain name during the initial install, if you want to do it now then search the forums & wiki for a 'how to'.
    Regards

Bill

Dirk is offline Moderator

Hmm, I thought I'd had it setup like that in the past but I just rechecked and noticed that it's no longer. However, I have the daily reports sent to a dist group so both admins get it. I've looked to see if I can add the alias of root@host.domain.tld to a dist group and it seems not to be possible. Any ideas?

Changing the setting during install is all well and good, but hindsight is 20/20 and I've looked into fixing this before, both in forum discussions and reading the wiki. I guess I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Hmm, I thought I'd had it setup like that in the past but I just rechecked and noticed that it's no longer. However, I have the daily reports sent to a dist group so both admins get it. I've looked to see if I can add the alias of root@host.domain.tld to a dist group and it seems not to be possible. Any ideas?
    Are you trying to create a distribution list called root@FQDN? You can't do that if it's already an alias of another user, if it's not then you can. . If you're trying to add root@FQDN as a member of a distribution list then there's no restrictions on that, certainly on my 4.5.1 release.

Changing the setting during install is all well and good, but hindsight is 20/20
    ... and always perfect. That wasn't the point of saying that, I was merely pointing out one option.
    and I've looked into fixing this before, both in forum discussions and reading the wiki. I guess I missed it.
    Well, it's there. You can change the server name, domain name, set the default domain etc. - all from the command line if you want. IMO, it's just as easy to make the changes you're making and leave it alone.
    Regards

Bill

Are you trying to create a distribution list called root@FQDN? You can't do that if it's already an alias of another user, if it's not then you can. . If you're trying to add root@FQDN as a member of a distribution list then there's no restrictions on that, certainly on my 4.5.1 release.
    Which version (NE?) do you use and on wich OS?

It's working fine for me with 4.5.0 NE trail on CentOS4, but not with 4.5.1 opensource on ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS.

I will investigate this next week....

Cheers
    Andre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information