Thread: Zimbra in Production and Reselling!

sebpayne is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra in Production and Reselling!

Just discovered Zimbra and it looks totally sweet! After experimenting with Scalix Community Edition for a week, Zimbra looks like paradise with AJAX UI, SpamAssassin, ClamAV and iCal support!

Just three questions before I started moving our companies' server over to Zimbra (I am the MD so I can )

a.) Will Zimbra always be open source?
    b.) What is the release schedule/version numbering?
    c.) Does it work with Debian/CentOS?

Thanks

Seb Payne
    Managing Director - EvolutionConsultancy
    www.evolutionconsultancy.com

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Welcome Seb.

a) Yes.
    b) We've got milestone 1 out there now. Milestone 2(aka M2) will be coming very soon. At that time we'll also offer the first beta of our Network edition. We don't have a schedule persay but generally release new milestone when they contain new features of acceptable quality. As for versioning... Version 1.x was for private alpha when we were in stealth mode. Version 2 was the first open source release. We currently are working on version 3 which is nearing it's 2n milestone release.
    c) We officially support Red Hat Enterprise Rel 4 and Fedora Core 3. If you search our foums you'll see that folks have got it working on many other platforms.
    Last edited by KevinH; 11-11-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Wow! Quick response. I am installing CentOS 4.2 now on our server Hope you saw my application for partnership!

For my customers, Outlook is very important so this Network edition sounds sweet!

Lightbulb

Just a thoughts:

What about a Wiki? Other projects such as Hula and Mozilla use Wikis which would allow as a good place for community contributions. MediaWiki is pretty sweet!

Also, what about enabling avatars on the forum so we can personalise ourselves

Thanks

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebpayne
    Just a thoughts:

What about a Wiki? Other projects such as Hula and Mozilla use Wikis which would allow as a good place for community contributions. MediaWiki is pretty sweet!

Also, what about enabling avatars on the forum so we can personalise ourselves

Thanks
    We've thought about this and use a wiki internally but for the time being we going to just stick to the forums. I'll turn on avatars and see how it goes. Just don't want it to get out of control.

Thread Information