Thread: Need Help for Configure MX record on GoDaddy

jvc5585 is offline New Member

Thumbs down Need Help for Configure MX record on GoDaddy

Dear All,

I am new to Zimbra & just I have purchased a domain name example - abc.com & just I have install & configured Zimbra 8.0.5 Server on Cent OS with my isp's public ip in my office & give mail.abc.com & its domain is registered on Go Daddy. Before installation I had done some settings on my domain's Go Daddy Zone File Editor Page into that I have removed default ip of go daddy from A Host record & add my wan ip. After that I have add CNAME record also for mail.abc.com (like mail @). After this at the end I have removed all default MX record & add my server mx record that is mail.abc.com.

My server's hostname also is same as my domain name for mail server like mail.abc.com & I am able to access it also from anywhere in the world but now I am facing issue of receiving emails. Frequently its received the mail some time not.

Below are the example of error where I am trying to send mail from my gmail account to my admin@mail.abc.com.

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

admin@mail.abc.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mail.antilaapps.in by smtp.secureserver.net. [72.167.238.29].

The error that the other server returned was:
    550 5.1.1 <admin@mail.abc.com> recipient rejected

----- Original message -----

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
    d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
    h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type;
    bh=jOgJRd/MX/Nyl8fSH1tIAFrW9CBvOfmL5WmXgN1lXvE=;
    b=QCS0jZzmDWGZvgRRM6aAaD/XKPCsk+NkELXImF5WRDZIL8tdNt38/5qgzgM3lFWzqH
    eBZVOFjDXaP6Z1+6jf/O6s9/te3Nqs+wVCBMzz8XAAY3dnVm6RinqvKYDdUfnR8DzXVf
    i6Xv6+DWJO/GphZXGboFL90uAOkmVvYLIvTDx2BbqnKFdcoI3T25SsoiKahQ9 FvZg9Yd
    Rxs1r84HkZBkeTGSjvlAImIA+H/2VU2LkKeA5vJH3A6iHxLsSp+fszuBMWO9TtSCkV40
    UB1xWOiZpUBjyX6N6x6JVX16rp4Crhfs1qmXZYJoyrH4Fmst2I c7AhKQfJ53bPNfVbDY
    8eig==
    X-Received: by 10.58.188.42 with SMTP id fx10mr1848582vec.51.1384594309433;
    Sat, 16 Nov 2013 01:31:49 -0800 (PST)
    MIME-Version: 1.0

Please help me out for this as I am urgent need to fix this.

Thanks & Regards,
    Jayesh C

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jvc5585 View Post
    I am new to Zimbra & just I have purchased a domain name example - abc.com & just I have install & configured Zimbra 8.0.5 Server on Cent OS with my isp's public ip in my office & give mail.abc.com & its domain is registered on Go Daddy. Before installation I had done some settings on my domain's Go Daddy Zone File Editor Page into that I have removed default ip of go daddy from A Host record & add my wan ip. After that I have add CNAME record also for mail.abc.com (like mail @). After this at the end I have removed all default MX record & add my server mx record that is mail.abc.com.
    You never use a CNAME record for a mail server (you may lose mail if you do that), use the correct A & MX records. Did you read any of the other threads in the forums on this topic or the Split DNS article (if you're behind a NAT router)? That article will also give the the necessary steps to debug your configuration and details of what you configure (if you're not behind a NAT router then use the same information with your Public IP on your external DNS server).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jvc5585 is offline New Member

Thanks a lot Bill for quick support.

My mail server is direct on wan ip only & now just need to confirm that is should i need to remove CNAME entry from GoDaddy pannel (i.e. mail @) ???

I have create Host A entry in godaddy that is @ (My Servers WAN Ip) & MX record is @ mail.abc.com with 0 priority is that right above things which i had done ???

Please help me regarding this.

Thanks,
    Jayesh C

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jvc5585 View Post
    Thanks a lot Bill for quick support.

My mail server is direct on wan ip only & now just need to confirm that is should i need to remove CNAME entry from GoDaddy pannel (i.e. mail @) ???

I have create Host A entry in godaddy that is @ (My Servers WAN Ip) & MX record is @ mail.abc.com with 0 priority is that right above things which i had done ???

Please help me regarding this.

Thanks,
    Jayesh C
    In the GODaddy DNS Manager control panel you need to create an A record for mail.abc.com pointing to your office's WAN IP address that Zimbra is using. You can't use the wildcard/default "@". You'll also need to create an MX record for your domain abc.com pointing to mail.abc.com. That takes care of the public IP side...

Behind your office firewall, I am presuming your Zimbra server has a private IP address, right? If so, you need to setup a DNS server for use by the Zimbra server so that when Zimbra does a DNS query on itself (happens more often than you think BTW...), Zimbra will resolve itself on its private, not public, IP address. More often that not, many install BIND on the Zimbra server.

This setup is what the Split DNS wiki article Bill mentioned is all about, and you really need to follow it to have a fully functional public email server.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information