Thread: Incoming mail to wrong server

Sapph1re is offline Intermediate Member

Default Incoming mail to wrong server

We have setup the Open Source version which appears to be running correctly with the exception of incoming mail.
    Mail can go out to other domains, but the incoming mail is being grabbed by our other server which hosts the mail of the domain the server is part of.
    i.e. mail server A hosts the main domain mail and server B hosts another domain but is part of A's hosted domain (A.domain1.com and B.domain1.com while B hosts domain2.com)
    I think this may have to do with a dns misconfiguration but am not sure where to start looking.
    We have a DNS server, and the relevant records are pointing to B for the mail of domain2.
    If anyone can advise what checks I can run to determine the problem?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sapph1re View Post
    If anyone can advise what checks I can run to determine the problem?
    This has been covered many times in the forums and there's even a wiki article on the subject (plus an internet search would tell you what you need to know), search for Split Domain.
    Last edited by phoenix; 12-02-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding the article on Split domain, but it seems as if its the same domain running on 2 different servers?
    Our setup is 2 mail servers on the same domain but hosting mail for different domains.
    My problem comes in where mail meant for the domain hosted on server B appears to be arriving at server A.
    Somewhere in the setup, B must be referencing A as that domain that is hosted on A is the domain that both servers belong to. (I will try to clarify if this doesn't make sense)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Correct me if I am misunderstanding the article on Split domain, but it seems as if its the same domain running on 2 different servers?
    That's correct.

Our setup is 2 mail servers on the same domain but hosting mail for different domains.
    My problem comes in where mail meant for the domain hosted on server B appears to be arriving at server A.
    Somewhere in the setup, B must be referencing A as that domain that is hosted on A is the domain that both servers belong to. (I will try to clarify if this doesn't make sense)
    As you've given very little information about your configuration I'm assuming you're behind a NAT router. If that's the case, why have you not created the Split Domain for "domain2.com? This configuration isn't normal for multiple domains, the main aim of a Split Domain is for migration of users (from another mail server) to a Zimbra server as mentioned in the wiki article:

We are often asked how to configure the Zimbra Collaboration Server so that some accounts are moved/migrated to Zimbra but other accounts continue to live on the existing mail system, in what would be a Split domain.
    Why are you running two Zimbra servers in this configuration? Are they, in fact, two Zimbra servers or some other configuration?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The main aim is to use an unused domain that has mailboxes for the testing phase and eventually use Zimbra as an alternative for those that need the extra features.
    There is only one Zimbra server in this setup, the other mail server is not running Zimbra and is Windows based.
    Both servers are behind a firewall, which I am not involved with the setup and maintenance of, but am aware that there is NATting.
    In long term it will be considered whether to migrate to Zimbra completely.
    I will explore the split domain in more detail and have the test domain active on both servers.
    Thanks for the feedback...and apologies for lack of information.
    Last edited by Sapph1re; 12-11-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Thread Information