Thread: Rewrite sender address

PNE
    PNE is offline Loyal Member

Default Rewrite sender address

Zimbra 4.0.3 Open Source.

I need to change sender addresses for all outgoing messages. J.Doe@olddomain.com should become JDoe@newdomain.com in every outgoing message. I saw this mentioned here but it works only for web UI. The same is for setting reply-to address directly in web UI. I need to rewrite senders addresses not just in messages sent from web UI but in messages sent from offline clients (Outlooks) too. Is this possible?

I went through Postfix documentation concerning my needs and it looks like Postfix can do it, but I am quite lost in all Postfix parameters and I am not sure how much it is affected or it affects Zimbra.

Can somebody help?

Greg is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by PNE View Post
    Zimbra 4.0.3 Open Source.

I need to change sender addresses for all outgoing messages. J.Doe@olddomain.com should become JDoe@newdomain.com in every outgoing message. I saw this mentioned here but it works only for web UI. The same is for setting reply-to address directly in web UI. I need to rewrite senders addresses not just in messages sent from web UI but in messages sent from offline clients (Outlooks) too. Is this possible?
    The same approach (changing zimbraMailCanonicalAddress) works for Outlook, the trick is that you have to recreate the Outlook profile after you change the canonical address. I don't use Outlook for email personally, but I tried this scenario just for the sake of the test. I changed my zimbraMailCanonicalAddress to myname@yahoo.com, installed Outlook connector and synced Outlook with my email server. I was using 4.5 network though, not sure if it will work with 4.0.3.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!
    P.S.: don't forget to vote on this bug
    add Samba LDAP entries to Exchange Migration Tool

PNE
    PNE is offline Loyal Member

I use Open Source edition, there probably may be a difference from NE, no Outlook connector for sure.

What do you mean by recreating Outlook profile? My goal is to avoid any changes in Outlooks because they are time consuming. Change setting on Zimbra would be very quick and elegant solution.

fhouston is offline Active Member

Found this thread via google, took a quick look and couldn't find anything else similar but if I overlooked something I apologize...

Anyway, I need to find someway to rewrite some of the outgoing addresses, namely just actual users, email lists and other aliases should remain as is. So user@default.domain.org should be rewritten to user@domain.org but maillist@default.domain.org should remain as is, as should user-alias@default.domain.org... make sense? I see Zimbra supports a per user "reply to" but having the "from" rewritten is preferred. Is there something I can do w/ virtual domains? As a side note domain.org exists and is managed by another part of our company, everyone here has aliases on their machine (non-Zimbra) that points to @default.domain.org though. We just need the outgoing addresses for the users to look like a single organization.

EDIT: Well I found the "Canonical address:" field in the admin tool accounts section, however when that is set the aliases and "personas" don't work anymore... is there a way to have both?
    Last edited by fhouston; 04-23-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Thread Information