Thread: Finding zmprov - Settings in Admin Console?

Judge is offline Junior Member

Default Finding zmprov - Settings in Admin Console?

Hi everyone,

often I find guides on how to do several things in Zimbra which say some commandline-voodoo with zmprov should be done. For example: Setting a catchall address as described in "Managing Domains":

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov modifyAccount user@domain.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @domain.com
    I know that I have made this setting and veryfied it is working for now, but I'm in doubt that I can remember in a few months. Also, if the person who should investigate on anything regarded to this wasn't me, he/she will probably never know that I made this on purpose and why.
    So my question: Sticking to this example with the catchall: Is it possible to find this configuration in the Admin Console anywhere? Or is it possible to print all these kind of settings on the console to see what has been changed this way? For some settings there is a 'desc' function available zu zmprov like:

Code:
    zmprov desc -a zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize
    But the doesn't seem to work completely to me: I have set zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize to ~50MB (50000000) by issuing:

Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize 50000000
    But when I exec the desc for it, "value :" reports nothing, even after Zimbra was restarted:
    Code:
    [zimbra@rs208316 ~]$ zmprov desc -a zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize
    zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize
        Maximum total size of a mail message. Enforced in mailbox server and                                                                                                                                                                     
        also used as value for postconf message_size_limit. 0 means "no limit"                                                                                                                                                                   

type : long                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                  value :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
               callback :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
              immutable : false                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
            cardinality : single                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             requiredIn :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
             optionalIn : globalConfig                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                  flags : accountInfo                                                                                                                                                                                                            
               defaults : 10240000                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                    min : 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
                    max :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                     id : 198                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
        requiresRestart : mta                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                  since :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        deprecatedSince :                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

[zimbra@rs208316 ~]$
    Could someone please explain this?

prashant is offline Zimbra Employee

zmprov desc -a <attribute name> is providing help about the attribute you are looking for. Attribute change value option also available from commandline as well as through admin console. Use the Zimbra Admin Guide available at www.zimbra.com for more details. Let me know if I have not answered your question.
    ~=Prashant=~

Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    zmprov desc -a <attribute name> is providing help about the attribute you are looking for. Attribute change value option also available from commandline as well as through admin console. Use the Zimbra Admin Guide available at Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac. for more details. Let me know if I have not answered your question.
    Hi prashant, not quite - I'm asking because I do not get the Guide exactly. I also do not understand the first sentence in your reply: I want to see the original and current setting for several options. As I showed in the zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize - example, "zmprov desc -a " only prints the defaults of a value - I neither see if nor to what it was altered.

Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    zmprov desc -a <attribute name> is providing help about the attribute you are looking for. Attribute change value option also available from commandline as well as through admin console. Use the Zimbra Admin Guide available at Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac. for more details. Let me know if I have not answered your question.
    Hi,
    I've answered to this already, some days ago. Somehow my posts do not sho up immediately and in this case it did not show up at all. So I answer a second time:

The question was not how I can change settings, but how I (and others) can see it was changed. When I issue "zmprov desc -a <attribute name>", I get a table like overview displayed. But there is only the default value shown. No matter to what I set the value, it is not printed in the 'value :' - line.

Thread Information