Thread: Zimbra webmail

themoose00 is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra webmail

I have zimbra server installed and running great for 3d party clients. What i am now looking to do is get the zimbra webmail up and running, however i am a complete noob to webmail hosting. I have looked, but can't seem to find any good documentation. Could someone please point me in the right direction to get me started?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by themoose00 View Post
    I have zimbra server installed and running great for 3d party clients. What i am now looking to do is get the zimbra webmail up and running, however i am a complete noob to webmail hosting. I have looked, but can't seem to find any good documentation. Could someone please point me in the right direction to get me started?
    I don't really understand what you're asking, the Zimbra Webmail UI is always available. What sort of documentation are you actually looking for and what are you trying to do?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Make the zimbra webmail publicly available via a website. Unfortunately I terribly with the terminology. Sorry for the explanation.

Raunaq is offline Zimbra Employee

Well if you have Zimbra mailbox service up and running on your Zimbra server you will get the webmail .I do not understand what you mean by webmail available via website though.How are you testing this?Just do a https://your_email_server_domain_name and you should get the webmail opened in your browser.
    Cheers,
    Raun
    Always ready to help.

Man I suck at explaining things. Sorry guys, let me try to clear this up. My mail server is hosted on my local domain, we'll call it "mail.domain1.local". I have a public domain: "mail.domain2.net", which forwards all mail requests to the local domain. I can access the webmail no problem from the local domain as you stated above w/ https://mail.domain1.local. When i try to access the webmail via https://mail.domain2.net, i get a connection timeout error. I know there's a way to do this and it's probably easy, i am just not sure what to search for on the zimbra wiki. Do i simply need to open a port on the firewall, or do i need to make config changes to the server as well? Thank you for your help and patience.

JakeMS is offline Active Member

Okay..

Let me get this straight, you want the server to be mail.domain1.local but you want to be able to open a browser and access it via mail.domain2.com? In theory, you could probably port forward to the server (So the server @ domain2.com just forwards the traffic over, or quicker, just set it in your local hosts file).

Or instead, are you looking to rename the server from mail.domain1.local to mail.domain2.com? This would require updating zimbra settings to use new domain, and setting a new hostname on the host.

?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS View Post
    Okay..

Let me get this straight, you want the server to be mail.domain1.local but you want to be able to open a browser and access it via mail.domain2.com? In theory, you could probably port forward to the server (So the server @ domain2.com just forwards the traffic over, or quicker, just set it in your local hosts file).

?
    Yes. No configurations need to be made on the server side? I appreciate it.

Got it all sorted and working. Thank you gents.

Thread Information